Safe Operating Temp

SeanMC

Hello, am new to dust collection but think I jumped in appropriately with a Clearvue system for my pole barn shop. Am originally from South Texas, where the winters are mild and the summers are nice and toasty. But am now living in Minnesota, which has been quite the culture shock for us.

I am building a wood shop in my pole barn, and have received my CV1800 and stopped short of installing it this week due to a major concern I am working through. My barn has three sections, an office/kitchen area which is heated with AC. A large portion which is heated and where I am installing the tools for the shop. There is a section designed for cold storage, with no heat, and an external wall simple to vent through, and an insulated wall between it and the shop portion which I am hopeful will help dampen sound for me. My plan is to install the CV1800 in cold storage, and then vent outside the majority of the year, and during winter bypass the vent and run to filters when super cold outside. Seems like a brilliant idea, until I started considering operating temps within the cold storage, which can get down to 30-40 below in winter.

I have scoured the documentation and these forums, and in all likelihood I am sure I have missed safe operating temps for the motor. My concern is the extreme cold will damage my CV motor if used at extreme cold.

Anyone familiar with safe operating temp for the motor itself? Thanks in advance for any input, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the discussions here in the forum.

Sean

Last edited:
I looked at the Leeson Catalog and the only information I could find suggests that these motors operate at -25C to +40C (or -13F to 104F). Other searches suggest -20C as the low end. I would suggest you contact ClearVue Cyclones and ask them (and get the exact model number of the motor they use), or contact Leeson directly at 1051 Cheyenne Avenue Grafton, WI 53024 262-377-8810 (you will need the motor model number).

Hope this helps.

Rob

While talking to CV ask if the plastic will be okay at those temps too. When it's that cold things can get quite brittle. Shop air would soon warm it though.

Can you enclose the CV1800 in its own insulated room within the cold area?

Pete

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven’t had a chance to reach out to either CV or Leeson (it’s been a heck of a day) but with the operating temps you posted McRabbet, I can’t imagine this specific motor could be rated for much colder temps. Even at just -13 F, the rating would potentially put running it “not an option” for a few months out of the year.... and Curly1 I hadn’t even considered the plastic... great catch there.

Can’t thank you guys enough for the input. This really firmed it up for me. I will be installing the CV1800 in the heated shop itself, and then duct the exhaust out through the cold storage, and when it’s too cold to vent outdoors will switch it to exhaust through the filter stack in the shop. Sometimes.. just discussing it out loud with folks who know what they’re talking about make the answer pop right out front.

Besides... It might be fun building a sound closet around the unit. Man, there are some great ideas and examples here for just that. Thanks again guys, and have a great weekend!

Sean

I was curious so I looked up the lower temp range for the PETG used to make the CV cyclones. It is -10C / 14F from one source and -40C/F from another. I would think if any part was at all was at risk of shattering it would be the plastic around the impeller when first turned on in the cold. So putting it in the shop seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the follow up. It does feel like the shop is the best option, for sure now. As soon as I finish getting siding up on the wall that I intend to use (wanted something prettier and easier to clean than plastic covered insulation) I’ll start putting it together. Should be a day or two.. Really looking forward to getting the DC up and running.

Thanks again..

Sean

Back