Schedule 40 foam core PVC pipe?

Daddy194x

Today, I visited two local plumbing supply stores. They don't carry SDR-35 pipe. All they have is schedule 40. However, they also offer schedule 40 "foam core" pipes for a few dollars less. These foam core pipes are a lighter weight than the regular schedule 40. Is going with these foam core pipes a bad idea?

I am located in MA straight north of Boston, near the NH border. Any suggestions for a supplier for getting pipe and fittings?

Thanks!
-Jeremy

jsbrow

Daddy194x,

I am not a landscaper or plumber, so I will defer to any tradesman that may reply. I have not heard of foam core PVC pipe. I suspect that it is PVC pipe with a cellular PVC core. While to my knowledge I have not used foam core PVC, I have used cellular PVC building materials (i.e. “lumber”). It is solid and cuts like PVC and is durable. Therefore, I would see no reason that cellular core PVC pipe could not work as dust collection pipe. Additionally it is my understanding that schedule 40 is a tougher standard than SDR-35, giving me greater confidence that it would work fine.

I live in southwest Ohio so I cannot name a specific SDR-35 dealer in the Boston area. However, you may find less expensive pipe and fitting by contacting landscape suppliers. If you have trouble identifying any landscape suppliers, you may find success by asking a landscape contractor for the name of their supplier. My understanding is the rigid PCV pipe used by landscapers is suitable for landscape drainage but unacceptable for running sewer drain lines in buildings.

bababrown

Jeremy,
I'm in Nashua. F W Webb in nashua carries sdr35 as do Corriveau and Routhier. Also, Lowes in Amherst nh carries some sdr35 pipe and slip on fittings though their quantities are limited. I think many of the plumbing supply houses in nashua also carry sdr35. I would not fool around with schedule 40 as the cyclone and gates are made for sdr35.
Bababrown

Daddy194x

Bababrown,

Thank you for that! I will check those sources out. You saved me a lot of aggravation! I didn't realize the issue with the cyclone interface and blast gates!

I will let you know what I find.
Jeremy