Sealing Bin Top

bohaiboy

I use a standard galvanized trash can for dumping form my CV. I initially installed some round foam insulation and it has done a pretty darn good job,. The other day I saw a lot of fine dust in the air, and after searching for the source realized it was being blown out of the can. Further inspection revealed that the insulation had deteriorated and I wasn't getting a good seal.

Any recommendations on best product to achieve a long term seal?

Many of us have switched to plywood tops so we can get a ledge around the top to hold a vinyl gasket. The plywood top also allows using a starter ring so the attachment to the hose is solid. I'd recommend going that way. Also, if you have dust blowing out the bin you must have a huge leak because the bin should be under a vacuum. So check your filters and clean them out since they likely are loaded.
bababrown

Either Plywood or MDF are good candidates for tops for galvanized trash can bins; I actually prefer MDF over Plywood because it machines very well and leaves a perfect edge that won't chip when you round over the edges. Your can cut the groove with a simple circle cutting jig attached to your router and then the center hole for the starter ring. I've attached a picture from one of my customers with his MDF lid on top of his galvanized trash can. It also has the sensors for one of my Bin Sensor systems mounted out of the way for servicing the bin when full.

I agree with Bababrown that the bin cover must be well sealed for the cyclone to work efficiently and also doubt that the fine dust is coming from the lid. You may have leaks around the lid that lead to inefficient removal, so I would check for leaks on the outlet side of the blower and filter joints. I also suspect you'll find a dust built up in your filters.

Attachments

• Griffith - New Sensors Small.jpg
    Griffith - New Sensors Small.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am just in the process of setting up my CV1800. I was planning on picking up a galvanized can tomorrow. Now it sounds like I don't have to look for the weather stripping. Instead I need something for the vinyl gasket and something to make a starter ring. Have the materials and plans for this been described elsewhere? What do you use for the vinyl gasket? What is used for the starter ring?

Thanks,
Rob

Just found your messages about making a plywood lid and using vinyl gasket. IF you get this reply how about a CU of the inside ledge, I can not quite picture the gasket. Also do you
use a latch on the lid to keep it on the can or is it necessary? Thanks, J. Roberts

Measure the diameter of the Bin and make a 3/4" thick plywood (or MDF) cover that overlaps by an inch or so (Diameter + 2 inches) and then use a router with a 1/2" core box bit to cut a groove that is the same diameter as the bin top edge. Add a self adhesive vinyl weatherstripping around the groove bottom. Add a few screw eyes on the underside outer lip to pull the top down with some bungee cords through the bin handles.

The maker of the bin cover in the picture above also has used a roundover bit to soften the outside edge and painted it -- looks real nice, seals well and is easy to remove.

Thanks Robert. That's very helpful. I really like the idea of a flat lid because I purchased, Your, bin sensor unit sold by CV. I have the collector running, I think I'll wait to install
the bin sensor after making an MDF lid for the can.
JR

Back