Sealing

clayandnancy

Well I remade the MDF parts that had separated, painted and ready for assembly. My question is, I plan on sealing the pieces as I put them together, do I seal the plastic in the grooves and will clear silicon sealer do the trick?

Last edited:
I would advise against using clear silicone sealant in the blower or transition grooves because if you ever need to take them apart, you won't be able to. Instead, I would seal and paint the MDF parts as you have and after assembly, apply a thin bead of clear silicone on the outside where the PETG plastic fits down into the grooves. It could be removed in the future like bath tup caulk, but will certainly provide a secure seal.

I concur. That's how I sealed mine, caulk up against the joint. You don't need to glue the parts together, just seal it so air doesn't escape. Jim.

Ok sounds like a plan. I don't think I'll take it apart at a later date but who knows. One other problem is the rectangular intake has been cut a couple of inches from the cyclone, is there some way of attaching it back together? I thought about gluing plastic strips on the seams and clamping till dry, then siliconing the rest. Thanks guys

In order to glue the intake, you really need some strips of PETG -- perhaps you could call or email the ClearVue folks and get them to send you some. It is glued with a solvent cement -- the best is Methylene Chloride, but ask the CV folks what they use -- cyanoacrylate glue should work as well, but I haven't tried it on PETG.

Back