Sewer and Drain pipe with black lining -- good to use?

Kevinmk_37

I thought I had found 6" S&D pipe but when I went to the plumbing supply shop they showed me a white pipe but had a black interior coating. Is this an acceptable product to use for my CV 1800? Exterior dimension is approx 6 1/4" in diameter and the interior is slightly less than 6" (maybe 5 7/8 to 5 15/16"). Will this work?

I am having trouble finding wye for 6" (6"x 6"x 6") Any problem with using Schedule 40 fittings?

Thanks in advance or your help.

Kevin

My first question would be to examine the manufacturer's printing on the exterior of the pipe. ASTM D2729 in 6" has an outside diameter of 6.275" and an inside diameter of 6.00" and the pipe is clearly marked on the exterior with the type since most application will require code compliance (here is a link to the dimensions). The pipe is usually supplied in 10' lengths with a bell end and no gasket and is all white. What you describe may be a lower quality drain pipe for landscaping use. You need to be certain that you have the correct fittings for that pipe. First, the plumbing supply house should have several types of fittings for S&D pipe and the will carry a molded in designation of D-2729 and/or D-3034 to have the correct female connections to fit that pipe. ASTM D3034 (also called SDR35) S&D pipe has the same outside diameter as D-2729, but has a thicker wall and is available with bell ends or gasketed ends. It is usually Lime Green.

I have had success finding fittings for D2729 and SDR35 pipe at Lowe's, including 6" x 6" x 6" wyes. As most already know, avoid both 90 degree elbows and "tee" fittings as they have high static pressure loss due to their sharp turns. Use two 45 degree elbows with a short straight segment for smoother flow.

If it is labelled ASTM F810 or D2729 it will work. I have used the 4" version and it is very good on losses. The plastic coating is very smooth. Also it is much stronger than the old thinwall pipe.
bababrown

The supplier had 2 10' section on site and could transfer more to this site. These two pipes had zero markings on them. I ask for spec sheets and any other description on what the pipe is. The guy didn't know any more about the pipes other what was written in their system which was a 7 digit number and description stating hdpe sewer and drain pipe. I am assuming the interior coating was made of hdpe.

When I had got to the stack I was first very excited when I passed a stack of ASTM 2729 (clearly marked on outside) but they were all 4" pipe in both non perforated and perforated. They told me they only had 4" astm 2729 and the other s&d pipes described above.

Unfortunately they cant tell me any details on the 6" pipe

Status update.

While the pipe doesn't have any writing on the outside, I was able to find out that Hulburt Suppy Inc purchased the pipe from ADS and ADS' part number is 06560010. I called ADS and had them send me a spec sheet.

This pipe is called ADS Smoothwall Sewer & Drain pipe which is a smooth triple wall pipe (white HDPE layer around a black polyethylene core). It comes in both solid and perforated with a bell end. Dimensions are 6.275" OD and 6" ID. The pipe meets the requirements of ASTM F810 (Thanks BabaBrown for stating this as an acceptable pipe). Their brochure states it is more impact resistance than standard PVC.

This pipe is sold locally in Vermont and upstate New York at Hulburt Supply for $25.94 for a 6" by 10' pipe. This company doesn't stock any Wyes (which I can find elsewhere) but they do carry caps, 45s reducers and other fittings.

Last edited:
Back