Shopvac/Mini CV06 dust collection for table saw?

chrispitude

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 16 gallon Shopvac "contractor" model at Lowes:

Shop-Vac 16-Gallon 5.75-Peak HP Pump Wet/Dry Vac

I also have a Shopsmith table saw with a 2.5" dust collection port. By itself, it seems to work reasonably well for dust collection. Granted I have never used a dust collector before, so I have no point of reference at all as to what would be bad or good. I like this arrangement because I needed a new Shopvac anyway, and its 2.5" hose end slides snugly right into the Shopvac's port.

I am considering ordering a Mini CV06 and using it with the Shopvac. I would take the 8' long 2.5" Shopvac hose and splice the Mini CV06 in the middle to keep the total hose run short.

Is this a reasonable expectation? I only use the Shopsmith occasionally, so I don't need an industrial solution. I don't have a feel as to whether the Mini would present enough pressure drop to hinder dust collection at the table saw.

Thanks all!

- Chris

Mini + Shopsmith

Mini + Shopsmith

Chris,

I have a Shopsmith also, and note all the SPTs are set up for the 2.5" hose. Modifying them for anything larger is problematic at best. So the Mini seems the ideal choice, and I urge you to go have a look in the photo gallery.

I ended up acquiring both the Mini plus the CV1800, as I also have other tools that can benefit from the large unit.

In the gallery where I detailed my Mini installation, note I tested the setup via running some wood through the Shopsmith planer, mounted on the Mark V. I was pleased with the result.

The link to my gallery, and hopefully it'll work, is: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/Mini+CV06/DWDs-CV-06-Mini/

I used an old shop vac for the barrel, but others have used 5 gallon buckets, made their own from sheet plastic, or used other, garbage can sort of things.

Were I you, think I'd not cut the hose into two. Rather, I'd just get a second hose. I use the 10 or 12 footer that came with my Fein vac, plus a 10 or so foot one from Lowe's, about $20 if memory serves. Doing so will allow you to reposition the setup to reach all over a decent sized shop. Mine's 16 x 18 (wish it were larger) but I can go anywhere in the shop without unplugging the Fein.

Plus, if you cut it, you're also going to have to come up with two more hose ends, the hard plastic bits that get inserted into the various ports.

Yes, there's a lot of hose to trip over, and I've been there, done that. But personally, I'd rather have too much hose and not need it than vice versa.

What impressed me most was the separation the Mini achieved, capturing all but the finest dust.

Regards,

DWD

Chris,

I have a Shopsmith also, and note all the SPTs are set up for the 2.5" hose. Modifying them for anything larger is problematic at best. So the Mini seems the ideal choice, and I urge you to go have a look in the photo gallery.

I ended up acquiring both the Mini plus the CV1800, as I also have other tools that can benefit from the large unit.

DWD, thanks very much! When I watched a Shopsmith dust collection video, they were talking about larger tubing sizes and "grownup" dust collectors. They explicitly mentioned that the 2.5" hookup was to keep velocity at the tool high, but once you get out into the mains, the diameter is higher. I was not sure if I was barking up the wrong tree with this Shopvac idea just because the hose happened to plug in.

I think I'll place an order for the Mini once I make some room in the garage. I really enjoyed your picture series. I may look for a Craftsman dead or dying vacuum like the one you used on craigslist as a catch bin, since it looks like you had great success with it. I was going to use a 5 gallon spackle bucket, but I like the idea of the bin being on casters.

My Shopvac came with a plain white filter. My plan is to also purchase a fine HEPA filter which is only used for dust collection. This HEPA filter should stay pretty clean since it will only be picking up what the CV06 doesn't catch. If I also used that filter for my general purpose garage/yard use, it would quickly get mucked up and lose flow. When I'm ready to use the Shopvac for dust collection, I'll just empty the canister, rinse it with some water, and put the HEPA filter in. I'm a very occasional woodworker so I am fine with this. Besides, anyone with a Shopsmith has lots of patience for setup/teardown. :)

Here's a picture of my Shopsmith, recently upgraded to a 520:

http://www.chrispitude.net/view.php...IMG_1610.jpg&dispsize=1024&picindex=14&size=2

- Chris

Hepa Filters, Etc.

Hepa Filters, Etc.

Chris,

I run both the Fein and an old Genie we have for cleaning out the vehicles with CleanStream filters. They last longer and can be rinsed out. I wouldn't worry about swapping filters for various uses. And they are Hepa. Depending on model, they're somewhere between $22 and $30 apiece at places like Lowe's.

The reason I installed a new one for the test was so there'd be the starkest of contrasts between brand new at the start of the test and somewhat soiled at the end. I also like to alternate between two filters per vac, as it seems to take a day or two for them to dry after rinsing. At least here in our somewhat humid environs of the South Carolina swamps.

My Shopsmith is still the old Model 500, I didn't do the table upgrade to the 520. But I have a stand alone table saw, so reckoned the upgrade probably wouldn't pay for me.

Though I've used the Shopsmith as a table saw, frankly it terrifies me in that mode, especially with the older guard mechanism. I know a couple of people who lost fingers on theirs. All I can tell you is be careful with it, double check the fence and quill lock each time, and pay attention, as it seems fatigue and a certain amount of carelessness is what bit my two unfortunate aquaintances. Just seems to me the Shopsmith is maybe a bit more unforgiving in that regard.

As for wheels for the collection barrel, if push comes to shove, you could make something like some of the carts others have assembled, that carry both their barrels and their vacs. Or perhaps something as simple as a plywood dolly to which you attach wheels and the 5 gallon bucket. Yeah, mine worked out well, but my use of the Craftsman barrel more due to me trying to avoid having to junk the whole thing than any other reason. Seemed like too good a bucket just to trash. Those are rather old, though, and the most recent motor on mine that died was its second. The thing was originally purchased in the early to mid 1980s, so I wouldn't hold my breath there are many still around.

One idea might be to start small and simple, with the 5 gallon bucket you have, then if something "better", in your opinion, comes along, upgrade then. To a certain extent, a bucket is a bucket, is there just to collect things and be easy to empty.

As for Shopsmith's video and commentary, I think Pentz pretty much dispelled that argument, and you have to see Shopsmith's video somewhat for what it is. Air at the pressure differentials we're talking about acts more like an incompressible fluid (water) than anything else. Thus restrictions act more as limiters, think of the valve in your faucet, than as a venturi that speeds flow. Shopsmith is attempting to keep themselves relevant with their 2.5" vacuum ports, and avoid the expense of redesigning and retooling for larger ports. And not necessarily that their equipment needs the larger ports as for the most part, their vac ports do a decent job, for what they are. Sure, if you spent a lot of time and effort designing big hoods and powered them with something like the CV1800, you'd probably do a better job collecting the very fine dust as Pentz recommends, but for the occasional woodworker, well, that just might be overkill.

For you, from what you've described, I think it might be worthwhile to "start small". If and when you become more involved, then maybe step up to a big cyclone. You'll know when its time, when you return to your shop after a day or two and notice everything's got a coat of dust on it. That's the stuff you were breathing the previous day. And when you get tired of cleaning out your nostrils and shop, that'll be time to crack open the wallet again. Just don't do what I did and waste your money on half measures, the chip collector stuff Pentz justly derides as "dust pumps".

Regards,

DWD

Hi all,

A few short months after purchasing the Shopvac, I will be selling it and purchasing a Ridgid vacuum to use with the CV06 conversion lid I ordered today. I will let everyone knows how it works out!

- Chris

Back