Single Stall Enclosure

bline22

I have a CV1800 and I am installing it in a single stall garage. I had it enclosed under my steps in my last shop where the space insulated and noise tolerable but am noticing how much louder it is out in the open and would like to quiet it. I am also now in a much smaller space then previous and space is at a premium. I have the filter stack and wont be exhausting outside. I have seen others putting the filter in the corner vs how i have it below. Maybe that is something to consider and guessing was done that way to protect it?

I am looking for suggestion on a small footprint method of quieting the system down but not sure I can go a full blown enclosure like i see many doing. Also for anyone else out there that downsized or is in a single stall garage i would welcome pictures or suggestion on layout of your shop and how you went about plumbing the tools in to the unit.

I did some searching on the forum and have gotten some ideas but it seems some of the posts the pictures were taken down or something as I can't see many of them but can see them referenced.

The picture below is me trying to get organized after moving into this place. I am a wood packrat but with prices the way they are now I have a hard time getting rid of material. Off this forums topic but would welcome ideas there too on how folks are organizing wood in a small space like this too.

Thanks for the help.

20210608_071907.jpg

Hi bline22, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the long delay responding to your post.

In looking at your available space, I'm very short on ideas. Here are two:
  1. Consider whether a 6'-8' muffler in line between the blower housing and a relocated vertical filter stack might help you. The best source of information on DIY mufflers will be the Australian Woodwork Dust Extraction Forum.
  2. Consider a partial closet surrounding the top 1/4 of your system, with sound insulation on the interior but open on the bottom. You might have to add some forced air flow around the motor. At least this might block the direct travel of some noise to the rest of your shop.
I'll be interest to know what you decide might help your noise levels. This will be a challenge. OTOH, my old basement shop had no sound insulation for my CV1800 and it was still less noise than running my radial arm saw. I lived with ear protection on at all times.

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to build this out of what dimensional lumber and scraps i have sitting around so the end result might look rough but hopefully i see some reduction in noise. Sadly some of the stuff i have is pretty warped but am going to attempt to make due. Any reduction in sound and use of this stuff sitting around i figure is better then nothing and maybe if it is functional I can make pretty/tweak if lumber prices come down.

I started with decibel reading of about 81-82 db

I started down the path of building an enclosure around it. I started with the first 1/3 but didn't get much change in the noise and according to the decibel meter on my phone I didn't see any change.

I began enclosing the remaining. I am scrap 2x4 with some r19 insulation i had around here. This brought it down to about 76db.

How low have people gotten the reading? Also, i had found that some folks were using mineral wool. would i see my gain here if i went to this instead of r19? The problem I am having and space being so tight, is that the fiberglass insulation sits up against the filter stack when closed. I am guessing it will blow it away when on but not sure if that is an issue?

I am guessing this will help more when I seal this up a bit better but I have a sound maze I am using that is around 5"x15 inches but I don't have anything to absorb the sound inside or outside of that. Would that help? I had thought about some carpet padding possibly. I can't have anything to thick or I think it might consume the air I need to move within it.

When close to your filters, remember that you don't want to limit exhaust air flow. The free air flow at the exhaust is just as important to the efficiency of your system as any of the intakes -- it's all one system. Bringing the sound down to 76dB is a pretty significant reduction. The best measurements I've read about with full closets is 69-72dB. Rule of thumb for noise reduction is mass is more effective than fluffy stuff.

Thanks for the reply and info.

It is more bearable the sound now and I can tell less loud so this project was a good one. I still don't have anything hooked up to it yet but one thing at a time. As you can see i have a long ways to go getting this placed organized before I can even make dust.

I am thinking to put some strapping on the insulation to aid in keeping it pulled away from the filter stack. I did built a sound maze too to try and have air pushed up and over the motor and then out I feel some air coming from that but I do also have a lot of air getting pushed from any nock and cranny it can so not sure how effective it is. I didn't have any sort of absorbing material on or within the sound maze so last night I took it down, opened it up and added some carpet padding thinking that might help if that is where additional sound is coming. When i get it all put back to together I will report back.

On a similar note, i had thought about getting some rock wool or something near where the opening is close to the filter to keep the insulation off the stack. the r 19 i had sitting around here in a 2x4 wall that i used for the door is to thick. This is what is brushing and sometimes, sitting up against the filter stack I believe and where my concern is at the moment.

On a different note, anyone else in here having moved from a larger shop to a single stall garage with some organization tips I am all ears. My biggest issues right now on what to do is limited wall space and where to put lumber and clamps.

Given your space considerations, you might consider just making a "rack" and hanging some moving blankets around the open sides. My closet is totally open on the filter end, but I have three rods with moving blankets hung on that end, and it is no louder than the solid sides. You can carry on a normal conversation right there. Nice thing about the blankets is they don't restrict the positive pressure flow, and are easy to move for access. It is surprising how well they dampen the noise, but try screaming into a blanket sometime! My OSHA app says I'm around 72-74dB. I guarantee the blankets will do better than fiberglass insulation. I have rock wool in my solid sides.

Back