Sound control starting from scratch 0

kaimaui

I am building a shop for a single tool 4x4 cnc router.
I also purchased a cv1800 that I plan to vent outside.
My biggest concern is noise as the router will on many occasions be running all day (night).
We have a prevailing trade wind so most of the time the noise get carried and muffled by that a little.
I am trying to decide on how to bring the noise all the way down.
Being in Hawaii I don’t need to worry about cold winters or s hot summers.
I think there will be enough airflow trough the router room due to the dust collection to stop it from heating up. My plan is to put a bunch of 2 inch ports in the walls to bring the air in rather then one large opening.
Currently my plans was to build a building out of concrete block. As I think it will do a much better job of containing the sound the a wooden structure.
The roof would be wood frame foam filled.
I have been reading up on the sound absorbing foams in other treads and mounting the dust collector with vibration reducing feet or wall attachments.
Does anybody have any experience with the concrete block and the use of a muffler on the eaxaust to the dust collector?

Thanks
KAI

kaimaui,
I'll let others talk about sound control. On the heat situation. If you vent to the outside all the heat except that lost in the motor (the inefficiency) will be blown outside directly. Only about 200 of the 4000 watts total will come off the motor. If the CV-1800 is inside then that heat will be drawn into the duct and vented outside. If you move 800 CFM of air the 200 watts will cause less than 1 degree F rise (275 Watts would cause 1 degree rise). Even if you add another 1000 watts with the router, the rise would be less than 5 degrees. So I think you are right on the heat situation. If I started from scratch I would build an attached closet on the outside of the building for the CV-1800 and go from there. It gets the noise out of the shop and makes clean up easier.
bababrown

Motor heat

Motor heat

I decided to built separate enclosures for the cnc router and the dust collector.
Will all the air moving trough the blower draw heat away blower motor or do you think i need to vent the DC closet?
Thanks
KAI

I think you will need to vent the closet or at least your motor will be happier if you do. Because you are venting outside probably the best way is to use a separate fan to draw air out of the closet. An outside wall fan would be best.
bababrown

Kaimaui,
In thinking more about this You could draw outside air into the closet with a hole through the wall and then pull the return air from the closet into the shop with another opening. Then you would not need another fan. You would put the outside opening high in the wall to draw air over the motor and the opening into the shop down low in the wall or door.
bababrown

I saw a post on 'some blog'(tm) where a guy had a shop in one metal building, and the chip collectors/dust control in a separate small metal building where they were separated by a foot or so between back walls of the buildings. It supposedly helped quite a bit.

I'm not sure, but it may have been "Stu's Shed" from OZ.

acousti block

acousti block

thanks for your replies.

I have been looking at their products.
acoustiblok.com

I am going to start with the closet with the small fan feeding air onto the motor.
see what noise level i can get down to. the reevaluate.

Thanks

KAI

Back