Sound proofing under stairs

Bob

Last year, I installed my 1400 under our basement stairs, with block wall behind and to the left. Attached crude drawing illustrates the installation. The area under the actual steps, where the filter assembly is located, was panelled, hiding the filter assembly from view. The actual Motor -& cyclone assembly are in plain view. I plan to add a door in front of the cycclone, to fully enclose the whole thing sometime this spring, keeping in mind many of the hints I've found here.

The question is: what do I do to the underside / backside of the wood stairs to further muffle the noise?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Attachments

• Dust Collector.bmp
    14 KB · Views: 0
Under Stairs

Under Stairs

Bob,

I trust the steps and risers are visible from below. If so, then I think you have two options:

(1) fill the space with fiberglass insulation, the no facing stuff. If you're concerned about it falling down, fasten some hardware cloth (quarter inch wire mesh) across the, oh, I forget what you call them, the rail boards into which the steps and risers are nailed.

(2) cover the bottom of those rails with something like that quiet sheetrock material, ala what Steve (Woodman) used in his closet.

Or both, though I think that might be overkill.

Regards

DWD

Back