Struggling motor

HeavyD

Hello,
I've used my CV1800 for 12 years now and have had no problems until this weekend.
Typically when I turn the unit on, full speed of the impeller takes just 3-4 seconds or so. But now the motor really struggles to get things spinning, probably taking about 10-12 seconds to reach full speed. This has caused my circuit breaker to trip several times. Once full speed has been reached however, everything is business as usual.

Anyone know what may be going on here?

I have turned the unit on, let it power up slightly for a few seconds before the breaker could be tripped, then powered down. If I then power up again after a couple seconds, I'm able to get back to full speed. The spinning impeller has enough momentum to allow the second power-up to get it to full speed.

Am I at risk of damaging the motor by turning it on, off and on again within 10 seconds or so? This is an easy work-around, but I also don't want to burn out the motor.

Thanks for any input!

I'm no electrical expert so take the advice with caution. I think since the motors are only supposed to be started only six times or so an hour because of heat dissipation, doing partial starts and then a full start would total more heat.

What might be happening is the capacitor might be going since it struggles to start but does when given a head start. Depending on the access I would remove the bump/cover over the capacitor and have a look at it after making sure the breaker is off. If it is bulged or leaking then it is the culprit. WARNING! Capacitors can hold a charge even after being shut off. I believe it can be discharged it by shorting it with an old screwdriver across the terminals. Verify that before doing it. If the numbers on the capacitor are readable go to a motor repair shop or order a new one online and replace it. If not readable you will have to research which (motor manufacturer) one it needs. I'll happily sit corrected if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forum too.

Pete

It probably is an open starting capacitor. With an open starting capacitor it would actually be starting with the run capacitor. In turn that capacitor is too small for good starting. I would replace asap.
bababrown

I'm no electrical expert so take the advice with caution. I think since the motors are only supposed to be started only six times or so an hour because of heat dissipation, doing partial starts and then a full start would total more heat.

What might be happening is the capacitor might be going since it struggles to start but does when given a head start. Depending on the access I would remove the bump/cover over the capacitor and have a look at it after making sure the breaker is off. If it is bulged or leaking then it is the culprit. WARNING! Capacitors can hold a charge even after being shut off. I believe it can be discharged it by shorting it with an old screwdriver across the terminals. Verify that before doing it. If the numbers on the capacitor are readable go to a motor repair shop or order a new one online and replace it. If not readable you will have to research which (motor manufacturer) one it needs. I'll happily sit corrected if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forum too.

Pete
It probably is an open starting capacitor. With an open starting capacitor it would actually be starting with the run capacitor. In turn that capacitor is too small for good starting. I would replace asap.
bababrown
Thank you both for your advice.
I will have an electrician friend investigate the capacitor.

Back