Using a cyclone with an existing DC

seajai

I have a Jet 650 cfm DC with the paper filter.

2008_0628deltashop0005-1.jpg

I watched the mini cyclone video where they hooked up a shop vac to the cyclone and collected the dust in a 5 gallon pail. Would it be possible to hook up my DC to a larger cyclone/trash can and get the same results? I don't have the money to buy the full system and wonder if a hybrid type system would work.

Hybrid System

Hybrid System

Hi,

The Minicv06 is made for shop vacuums with a 2.5 inch hose. You could hook a regurlar cv1800 cyclone only between your jet dust collector and your machine but if that is a drag around and hook up one machine at a time system that is going to be alot to move around and it still isn't going to provide the kind of air flow you really need to do good dust collection but would keep that filter cleaner longer and will give you and easier container to empty. My personal recommendation would be to wait until you can afford to do a full system upgrade.

Matt

Why not use the Jet to power a CV1400 or CV1800 cyclone?

It wouldn't have the suction of the 15 or 16 inch CV blowers, but it seems to me it would work. The system would only flow the cfm it does now minus the resistance from the cyclone. It may not be optimum, but it would be easier to empty and the filter wouldn't clog all the time. The System would also be easily upgradeable with a CV blower when funds become available.

I guess my main goal was for large scale chip collection. I make cedar adirondack chairs, so when I am preping the stock through the jointer and planer, I am producing a large amount of shavings. I have a home-made primary seperator made from pipe and a trash can but it only works so-so.

Airflow and Blower Size

Airflow and Blower Size

I started from a similar thought: add a cyclone to a "chip collector" sort of machine. Mine happens to be an older, 1 HP Delta, the kind with motor and blower on top of a 55 gal. drum, plus large bag for final filtration. Specs on it were 700 CFM and it used 5" pipe. Bag was, is, awful, and even when new could only trap down to about 5 micron. And now with some holes, well, it is, as Pentz rightly observed, a dust pump.

Problem is, the Mini is sized for around 100 to 150 CFM. And the CV1400 and CV1800 for about 1500 CFM. The smaller Jet, like my Delta, won't provide the necessary airflow to properly keep the pipes clean plus swirl the cyclone. The smaller Mini will just choke, and rather than run it with the Jet, would be better to dedicate a shop vac.

I was, and am, less concerned with chips as they can be swept up than with the very fine dust that would clog my nose and after a few days coat everything in my shop. A few days spent reading Pentz' site (which you can access via the "Links" item under the "General Info" tab on Clearvue's home page) convinced me half measures weren't going to do the job and would be just a waste of money. So, as Matt said earlier, rather than waste bucks on ineffective half measures, I'd advise waiting 'til you can get the larger machine. Lord knows I learned that the hard way. Ah, well, at least the government won't get it now, its gone!

One final note: In addition to the CV1800 I'm still putting together, I also acquired a Mini. I use it on most of my Shopsmith stuff as their stuff is generally ported for 2.5". Works well on the planer, not so well on the strip sander or bandsaw. Which is more a criticism of Shopsmith's ports on those machines than on the Mini / vac combination, which works as designed and described.

Regards,
DWD

Back