venting outside

ducky911

Hi,

I was wondering for those of you that vent outside. Have you tested with handfuls of fine dust and watched your vent?

I currently have a thien baffle built and it works but does fail the above test.

Thanks

Bob

Well I will answer this myself now as I have got to the point in my install that I could run a test(maybe not a fair test? a handful of fine dust at first gate). I do see dust in the air when venting outside light floaty stuff that gets lost in the wind. Much less dust than the thien baffle.

I did have some leaks and I sealed every seam inside and out and also duct taped the outside seams. But they must of been small as there was no difference in the venting dust. I have 10" fall from cyclone to the can lid. I ordered the filters.

Last edited:
I just hung my 1800 and am about to start framing the closet and this is a very timely post. I'm not sure though what you are saying. It seems you are venting the dust outside and are observing dust in the air outside. Correct? If so I don't understand your concern, isn't that the result you were looking for when venting outside? So are you now going to add filters and vent through them inside? What am I missing here?

I just hung my 1800 and am about to start framing the closet and this is a very timely post. I'm not sure though what you are saying. It seems you are venting the dust outside and are observing dust in the air outside. Correct? If so I don't understand your concern, isn't that the result you were looking for when venting outside? So are you now going to add filters and vent through them inside? What am I missing here?

I currently have the nano filters hooked up and the cyclone in a closet that vents outside and everything is working well. I had hoped (in my early testing) that the venting outside without filters would not be visible dust. I did not want to have it seen by next door. The dust I did see was so fine that you would have to be looking for it.

If you are going with no filters you better get a dylos meter as I was shocked to find the fine dust got back in the shop.

I currently have the nano filters hooked up and the cyclone in a closet that vents outside and everything is working well. I had hoped (in my early testing) that the venting outside without filters would not be visible dust. I did not want to have it seen by next door. The dust I did see was so fine that you would have to be looking for it.

If you are going with no filters you better get a dylos meter as I was shocked to find the fine dust got back in the shop.

To be sure I understand. In your pre - Nano filter configuration, you were running a duct directly from the 1800 through your exterior wall. You could see very fine dust exiting the duct outside. Dust that was released into the atmosphere outside was making its way back into the shop?

Back