VFD Drive for a Clearvue 3 Phase

cvweel

I didn't find any thing on this via search, so here goes. I am wondering if any one has tried adding a Variable Frequency Drive to a 3 Phase system. I like the idea becasue it would make the system adjustable speed wise, a possibly closed loop in the future to compensate for filter load etc. Any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated. I am concerned that I will drive my family nuts with the noise in the basement.

Curt

Noise isn't that bad

Noise isn't that bad

Mine is in the basement, just below the dining room - and we have a home heated by forced hot air, so there are ducts traveling from the basement throughout the house. The noise really isn't that bad, in my and my wife's opinion. The sound of the tools operating is far louder than the dust collector.

I didn't find any thing on this via search, so here goes. I am wondering if any one has tried adding a Variable Frequency Drive to a 3 Phase system. I like the idea becasue it would make the system adjustable speed wise, a possibly closed loop in the future to compensate for filter load etc. Any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated. I am concerned that I will drive my family nuts with the noise in the basement.

Curt

Have you found anymore info on running a variable frequency drive with this big of a motor?
I was looking into buying a used oneida cyclone that had a 5hp 3phase motor.
What I found was that for a vfd to handle a 5hp motor was very expensive. Pretty much everywhere I looked talked about having to buy a vfd that was rated for 10hp because you had to derate the power output by 50%. At that point a rotary phase converter was more economical but then you lose the variable frequency aspect that a vfd provides.

Just curious what info you have found in your research.

Thanks

I have found about three options so far. One is you can buy a 7.5 kW Chinese VFD off Amazon or Ebay that they claim will work for 5 HP (3.7 kW) on single phase input, but when you look at the product manual it doesn't say it will work on single phase, but for about $300 it may be worth a shot. An ACtech SF250Y (the Y is for single phase input) would work, those run about $750. They are IP20 (open cabinet), so they should probably be put in an enclosure. Invertek offers a 1P input, 5 HP output drive in both Nema4x and IP20 enclosures. I am trying to source the Invertek Nema4X which I think I can get for $750, but I have not ordered it yet. PN ODE-32050-1H04X. I am finding the suppliers to be a little flaky.

Curt

For what it is worth the Aussies have been using VFD's to increase the speed of their motors from 50 cycle to 6o cycle to get the same speed/airflow as we have here in North America. The one they recommend is a Powtran P19000 series VFD from China. I bought one and a 3 phase CV-Max to be able to overspeed slightly to 65 cycle and to reduce the speed for light duty use like power carving with high speed grinders using dental bits. The model number is P19130A 004G-1 and was about $170 US plus shipping of $50 (I politely haggled it down from $75ish) to my door, UPS, taking about 2 weeks from payment. I bought through Alibaba but you can also buy direct. The Aussie Clear Vue site has information on how to program the VFD to make it a little easier to understand the 180 odd page manual that comes with it.

Back