What does "level" mean for the CV?

Ed Haney

With the cyclone/impeller housing hanging from the motor mounting flange (that is, everything in place), with 2 levels I leveled the motor mounting flange in all directions adjusting the top 1/4" nuts from which the mounting fllange hangs. But I find that the cyclone itself is not hanging perfectly straight in one direction (left to right is OK, but front to back is out of level. When I drop a plumb bob from the top to the bottom of the straight sides it reveal how much is it out of level over the total straight-side distance. This also brought to my attention that the sides of the cyclone are not perfectly straight - they bow in slightly. When I get the straight sides all verticle, the motor mounting flange is not level in one direction.

I checked and I have everything tightened and mating properly. So my question, to what surface did you level your CV? The motor mounting flange, the cyclone sides, etc. ?? did you find any issues as I am describing?

Right now I am just splitting the difference between the motor mounting plate and cyclone sides so that both are a little out of level.

Ed

What does "level"

What does "level"

Ed,
I recall leveling the bracket side to side when I mounted it to the wall and I think I checked it front to back when I added brackets to the ceiling. I recall adjusting the mounting bolts when I installed the motor but I think that was just by eyeball. Any tilt in mine isn't noticeable. I think there are no issues in running it an a small angle off vertical.
bababrown

Ed,
I recall leveling the bracket side to side when I mounted it to the wall and I think I checked it front to back when I added brackets to the ceiling. I recall adjusting the mounting bolts when I installed the motor but I think that was just by eyeball. Any tilt in mine isn't noticeable. I think there are no issues in running it an a small angle off vertical.
bababrown

Thanks for the reply.

I installed my bracket sides and back level too. Of course the 4 threaded rods allow adjustment to level the motor mount/cyclone even if the leveling of the brackets was off.

I believe that the problem is the moulding of the plastic in the manufacturing process. And it should not matter much as you said.

Thanks again,
Ed

A slight off-level cyclone will not affect performance. Somewhere on this site is a post indicating that the cyclone will still separate properly when mounted at a 45 degree angle.

Steve

Back