What drum/barrel would you choose?

doughpat

Lets say money is no concern....probably sourcing from Uline, and they offer Plastic, Steel and Fiber. We have 10' ceilings. CVMax.

Doughpat,

I see no one has responded to your post -- sorry, but I have been away on an extended trip or I would have made a recommendation. Without hesitation, I would recommend that you use a polyethylene drum such as these from uLine (https://www.uline.com/BL_8154/Plastic-Drums) since they are much lighter that steel drums and more durable that fiber drums. I use a 55 gallon polyethylene barrel that I purchased from a scrap yard for $10 that had been used for tomato sauce. The wide cover can be replaced with a solid plywood cover with a routed groove to accept a soft rubber gasket and a metal started collar inserted in the center to accept the CVMax flex. I would recommend the 55 gallon size and suggest that you look at farm supply or scrap dealers or big laundry companies (they get detergent in drums).

Hope this helps.]

I looked at several options myself. I'm sure the best and safest drum would be a metal enclosure. However, I wanted an inexpensive drum that would not be too heavy. I found a blue plastic 50 gallon drum on craigslist for $25. You can see it in the left hand corner of the picture. This drum has a thick plastic top that has a rubber seal along the interior of the lip which contacts the container. A metal strap seals the system. It works great, is light and was cheap. My cyclone is mounted 9' above the floor.

Attachments

• Completed_Cyclone.jpg
    Completed_Cyclone.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
Back