where to get bin sensor relay

CharlieBlink

I have been to two Radio Shacks. They did have a little relay switch rated for 110ac but they did not have a base for it. I tried searching on the internet for the allen bradley relay but I get so much stuff I cannot figure out which one will work. None of them look like the photo's I've seen and the descriptions are full of elctrojargon I dont understand.

Where can I get a relay to work with my bin full sensor??

I will assume that you are talking about the Allen-Bradley 700-HA32A1 "Ice Cube" relay that is used in my Bin Sensor circuit shown in its most recent revision in this thread. I purchased mine (along with a corresponding 700-HN125 8-pin socket with screw connectors) at a local electrical supply house, but you should be able to find it on eBay or with a Google Search. It has a 120V coil that is activated when the photoelectric beam is blocked by a full bin. That pulls down the two internal switch contacts to drop the voltage to the H230B Contacter coil (turning off the cyclone motor) and activates the strobe lamp. The relay and socket should cost under $20. By the way, you can use an LED Candelabra lamp instead of the incandescent type -- they are about $5 each at WalMart.

Last edited:
Yep - That's the relay I'm looking for. The electrical supply house I stopped at to get other supplies had no relay's - there is another in a town nearby - I'll try them.

Thanks
Charlie

can't find sensor??

can't find sensor??

I am having the same problem locating these two parts. So where did you find the sensor, and what is it's proper name and #. thanks rlsumm

I use the Summit Lighting CP688 photocell that I found at Lowes in their outdoor pole light area but I don’t know if they carry it any more. This one works well because it only has about a 1 second delay. I found a spare on ebay not long ago, it’s not for sale. Amazon.com has two right now. Other ones have a 20-30 sec. delay that would work. I have seen some that are using the photo cells for garage doors but I know nothing about how to make a circuit for it.

Some Bin Sensor Answers for All

Some Bin Sensor Answers for All

I was the member here that designed the Bin Sensor system that some of you are referring to that uses a Dusk-to-dawn photocell and an Allen-Bradley relay in conjunction with the H230B 240V/30A contactor that is used with most ClearVue Cyclones. As some have already pointed out, the Summit CP688 is no longer available but the replacement units one can buy at most of the BORGs will work just fine, but they have a built-in 8-10 second delay (used to avoid false Off/On tripping of a yard lamp when a car's headlights hit it). The A-B relay is available on the internet (I found it on eBay and at the same supplier I referenced in a post above). I have made a minor change in the circuit schematic (PDF file attached) that includes a strobe lamp and 12VDC transformer "downstream" of the Ice Cube relay (other options like a simple light bulb in one's shop could also be used in place of a strobe lamp). This sytem works well, but requires a lamp to burn 24/7 to keep the photocell illuminated.

I also am making a low voltage bin sensor that uses Genie garage door safety sensors and a custom circuit board. The entire control system runs on a small "wall wart" 12 VDC transformer and features a bright fire alarm quality strobe lamp to warn the user of a full bin. I am making the units for $150 each plus shipping (they have almost $125 in parts, so I won't get rich making them). A basic description and layout is also attached.

If anyone has questions or wants to purchase a unit, please feel free to PM me.

Attachments

• Dust Collector Cyclone Bin Sensor Circuit Ver 2.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Revised Low Voltage Dust Collector Sensor.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 2
I have seen the product on the PSI website, but I don't know anyone nor have I read about anyone with first hand experience with this device. Clearly it is a mechanical sensor and I doubt that it ties in with the dust colfeedback to the user (they mention an audible alarm only). It also extends down into the bin and may trip with the bin partially filled. It also appears that it may be in the way of removing the lid on a cyclone with a short flex connection to the lid.

If your dust collector is in a closet or another room, or you are wearing good ear protection, it might be ineffectual. My optical systems provide control of the dust collector and can be used from a remote location to provide direct feedback to the user.

I was the member here that designed the Bin Sensor system that some of you are referring to that uses a Dusk-to-dawn photocell

Ouch!!! Rob, remember me? :confused:

Check me out on NCWoodworker (and other forums). I was the one who actually designed the day/night sensor based optical high dust alarm system that Rob first adapted to his cyclone control circuit. I integrated mine into a completely automatic dust collection system with autogates etc. You can see a video of my DC at this link. I also switched to an LED based system so have a few Summit Lighting CP688 sensors I'll sell for $20 plus S&H- send me a PM.

I planned to license my new LED alarm to a manufacturer, but since Oneida came out with their new, reasonably-priced, unit I figured they had a head start on an already small market.

My LED unit is a full turn-key system that doesn't rely on garage door opener sensors. It has small sensors that strap in place on the flex or drum and are connected to an advanced control box. The control box has built in high intensity LED strobes and advanced functions- selectable alarm flash patterns, can be easily rigged to turn off the DC, can be wired to a remote flasher or horn, and can be upgraded with an accessory board that operates a remote wireless alarm. Here are the SketchUp drawings of the control box:

Attachments

• Dust alarm box-II-1.jpg
    Dust alarm box-II-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dust alarm box-II-3.jpg
    Dust alarm box-II-3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • Dust alarm box-II-4.jpg
    Dust alarm box-II-4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ouch!!! Rob, remember me? :confused:

Alan -- I gave you full credit for the design in my earlier threads using the Summit photocell (see this 2/2008 link and this one in 6/2008). In this 2010 thread, I was referencing the configuration that I devised using different components than you used (e.g., the A-B relay and H230B contactor). Lots of CV owners have used this public domain design.

Sorry for any confusion.

Alan -- I gave you full credit for the design in my earlier threads using the Summit photocell (see this 2/2008 link and this one in 6/2008). In this 2010 thread, I was referencing the configuration that I devised using different components than you used (e.g., the A-B relay and H230B contactor). Lots of CV owners have used this public domain design.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rob, I didn't want to rain on your parade and have no issue with my original setup being a public domain design, just with the characterization in that particular thread of how it came about (even Bill Pentz gave me credit). As far as the relay and contactor components, just about any with appropriately coil voltage and and contact current rating will do.

How are sales doing on the LED rig? I see you are still using the Genie sensors- there are much cheaper LED alternatives out there. The ones I am using in my LED prototype cost under $5 for a set. Are you still using the circuit designed by Touchwood and the guy from Connecticut and the boards made by Jeff Wheat at SimpleCircuitBoards.com?

Back