Will it handle drum sander?

G

Greg

I currently have a Jet DC-1200 with a Wynn filter. This system is great at handling the following tablesaw, jointer, planer and miter saw. But, it falls flat on it's face when it comes to my Delta 18-36 drum sander. After about 20 minutes of running my drum sander my Wynn filter is plugged to the point where there is hardly any suction whatsoever.

Will a Clearview REALLY handle the fine sawdust from a drum sander without clogging the filter or do they only handle larger chips? I don't want any marketing hype hear but real world experiences. If I'm going to fork out around a grand I want something that REALLY works.
Thanks
Greg

Originally posted by Greg@Jan 27 2006, 08:41 PM
I currently have a Jet DC-1200 with a Wynn filter. This system is great at handling the following tablesaw, jointer, planer and miter saw. But, it falls flat on it's face when it comes to my Delta 18-36 drum sander. After about 20 minutes of running my drum sander my Wynn filter is plugged to the point where there is hardly any suction whatsoever.

Will a Clearview REALLY handle the fine sawdust from a drum sander without clogging the filter or do they only handle larger chips? I don't want any marketing hype hear but real world experiences. If I'm going to fork out around a grand I want something that REALLY works.
Thanks
Greg
A cyclone like the clearview is much more efficient than something like a Jet DC-1200. I bought one last summer and have yet to clean anything other than the
chip collection can. I did not spend anything on my filters - they are used truck
air filters which I cleaned out with air and by rapping them on the ground.
so far there has been very little build up in the filters. I have used my tablesaw,
my big jointer, my 16-32 sander and my planer with the cyclone and it just keeps on sucking!

I wish I hadn't been in such a hurry to use the cyclone after I first put it up. The other day I made a simple "U-tube" manometer out of a yard stick and some clear
tubing and colored water. I hooked the tube to the 6" down feed near my tablesaw
- NOT at the cyclone - and I get 12.25 " of water static pressure (all gates closed),
thats about 25 feet from the cyclone. I know I have a bunch of air leaks, but thats a good number I think. It drops to 3.5" of water with the 6" saw gate open or about 10.5" of water with only a 4" gate open.

Wish I had done this at th cyclone when i first put it up for a reference. I still need to do the measurement at the cyclone. But as it is I will be able to tell if I have a problem is any of those pressure readings drop very low.

See my shop pics on the galery page - Dave's new shop and cyclone - http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/

Back