Workable CNC dust shoe

oldergeek

I dearly love my Clearview 1800. Works great. In fact it works a little too good for my CNC. I have an Axiom, with a dust shoe that I made. It looks just like the factory item though. My problem is that the cyclone completely sucks the bristles from the shoe up into the 4" pipe. This is my second iteration of a dust shoe, both had the same problem. Does anyone have a better idea for a dust shoe?

Your dust shoe needs a path for air to enter. If you don't provide one explicitly, and if your dust collector has adequate vacuum, and if the bristles of the dust shoe touch the spoilboard (closing the work volume), air pressure will bend some of the bristles toward (or into) the exhaust duct. One approach, used by the dust shoe on my MillRight CNC, is a 2" opening in the "front" of bristle skirt. While that allows air in, it also allows chips to be shot out. I've installed a 4" row of bristles, crossing about 2" away from the opening. That blocks most of the chips, but there is usually some clean up needed afterwords. With the opening allowing air to enter, the bristles are not deflected by the vacuum, even when using a skirt with 2" bristles.

Back