6" & 4" on CV 1800???

blhale

Waiting for my CV1800 to arrive so I'm working on duct layout. I'd like to run a 6" duct to the tablesaw cabinet and a 4" flex to the guard over the blade. I realise this is a bit to much duct (5" & 4" would be best) but how would it perform?

I ordered the cyclone with a 16" impeller and I'm hoping the additional 20-25% airflow can handle it.. All the rest of the duct is 6" and the run from the cyclone to the tablesaw cabinet will be about 16'

Thanks
Brian :))

I did this on my set up, and where the 6" attaches to the cabinet saw, I have a blast gate. Use a gate to restrict some of the flow if need be. But I don't think you'll have a problem. DSCN2573-1 691 blast gate.jpg

DSCN2621 OH guard blast gate.jpg

dscn2619 OH guard.jpg Hope this helps! Jim.

Brian,
The larger impeller will give you a bit more airflow and even more head to overcome losses in the piping. I think a 6"/4" split from a 6" pipe will work okay if you have similar losses (at different airflows) in the two branches. You would like to see at least 350 CFM in the 4" branch and at least 800 CFM in the 6" branch for 1150 CFM minimum total in the 6" line. To get such a split you need to make both branches similar in length using similar components and having similar hood losses. The 6" branch will tend to hog the airflow so you will want to try to make the 4" branch a little lower in loss (for example a little shorter). It may take some work to get the split correct.
bababrown

Thank you!

Since I'll have a gate for both duct runs I can balance things if needed, I just wanted to avoid the 6" to 5" transition deal. The 4" run would be all flex hose, a drop of about 5' off the 6" main

Jim, how well does your blade guard capture the dust/chips coming off the blade? If you started from scratch again what changes would you make? I plan building one soon so any tips would be appreciated.

Brian:)

I'm happy with the unit. I need to add some bristle to the edges. I'm guessing there is a better design, but this seems to work fine. Is in 100%? No. But I don't think anything would be. Jim.

Back