A few questions about set up, etc...

Shearoff

Forgive me for not searching the archives but am in need of answers ASAP. I am setting up an 1800 in a 24 x 14 shop. Will have 6 inch ducting all around perimeter at a height of 9 feet with drop downs to the tools. The Cyclone and filters will be in an insulated closet with wiring inside for 50 AMP 220V and 20 amp 110V. I want to use a remote radio controlled switch to start and stop the cyclone. Can anyone suggest a brand of switch for the cyclone and give me ideas about wiring it? Also, to get the filtered air back into the airconditioned and heated shop, I plan on using a baffled opening. Does anyone have suggestions about how best to construct this and where best to place it (ceiling or floor). I would also like to create a method of bypassing the air filters and expelling the air outside on days when the humidity and temperature allow. Has anyone made such an air filter bypass?
Thanks,
Rob

I have used a Shop Fox Wireless Remote for several years to control my dust collectors. It costs about $45 plus shipp and is available from Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (link) or Grizzly.com (link). I have mine located in a high crawl space below my shop floor and I've never had it fail to come on. It is simple to hook it up to the H230B contactor that controls 240 VAC to your cyclone -- buy an inexpensive round cable extension cord (I found some green 16ga ones at Lowe's) and cut off the female end. Assuming your H230B is in an enclosure, use a 1/2" cord grip bushing (Lowe's Item #49211) through the side of the enclosure and connect the leads to the 120V coil connections using crimp-on 14-16 ga 1/4" female Quick Connectors. The Male end of your cord plugs into the Remote unit.

For the filtered air return to your shop, most folks here have used a boxed in section of their closet wall with air entry at the bottom of the closet and up to an outlet coming through the wall into your shop. A full section between two studs forms the return air duct -- some put foam in to deaden the sound.

Your third question requires a modified transition from your cyclone blower. ClearVue has a straight adapter for this purpose in their accessory list of products (see link), but in my case, I made one using a piece of sheet metal laid out using this online calculator. You'll need to add a 6"x6"x6" wye to the outlet from your cyclone blower with blast gates to control flow to either the filter bank or to a duct that runs outside (I've used insulated HVAC flex).

By the way, I make and sell an LED-based alarm that detects a full dust bin to help users with their cyclones in closets know when their dust bin is filled to protect those expensive (and hard to clean) Wynn filters. See this thread for a review. If you're interested, PM me for more information with your email address (I've sold six to ClearVue owners this year).

I have used a Shop Fox Wireless Remote for several years to control my dust collectors. It costs about $45 plus shipp and is available from Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (link) or Grizzly.com (link). I have mine located in a high crawl space below my shop floor and I've never had it fail to come on. It is simple to hook it up to the H230B contactor that controls 240 VAC to your cyclone -- buy an inexpensive round cable extension cord (I found some green 16ga ones at Lowe's) and cut off the female end. Assuming your H230B is in an enclosure, use a 1/2" cord grip bushing (Lowe's Item #49211) through the side of the enclosure and connect the leads to the 120V coil connections using crimp-on 14-16 ga 1/4" female Quick Connectors. The Male end of your cord plugs into the Remote unit.

For the filtered air return to your shop, most folks here have used a boxed in section of their closet wall with air entry at the bottom of the closet and up to an outlet coming through the wall into your shop. A full section between two studs forms the return air duct -- some put foam in to deaden the sound.

Your third question requires a modified transition from your cyclone blower. ClearVue has a straight adapter for this purpose in their accessory list of products (see link), but in my case, I made one using a piece of sheet metal laid out using this online calculator. You'll need to add a 6"x6"x6" wye to the outlet from your cyclone blower with blast gates to control flow to either the filter bank or to a duct that runs outside (I've used insulated HVAC flex).

By the way, I make and sell an LED-based alarm that detects a full dust bin to help users with their cyclones in closets know when their dust bin is filled to protect those expensive (and hard to clean) Wynn filters. See this thread for a review. If you're interested, PM me for more information with your email address (I've sold six to ClearVue owners this year).
Very nice post regarding dust control. I like your post dear.

Back