Air particle counter readings

Nako

Hey guys, anybody interested to post some results from your particle counter readings? I'm interested to hear what kinds of results are typical for home shops. I don't have a reader yet, but probably will invest in one myself sometime soon.

Nako

Nako,
I have done a lot of measurements both inside and outside of my shop. The first day I got the meters (I bought one each of the 1 -5 and .5 - 2.5 meters) I read about 1600 in my shop. I had been doing a little work on my dust pickups for my jointer and planer but hadn't done much cutting of anything. Well, I thought my shop would be reading really good so that concerned me. Then I took the meter right outside the shop (this was the .5 - 2.5 meter) and I got readings of over 4500 so that told me that the ambient air quality inside the shop was better than outside. Anyway, since then the outside readings have varied from a low of about 400 to a high of over 5000. Of course in the spring with the pollen out, I would expect high outside numbers. Humidity (actually water droplets as found in fog) also raise the particle count dramatically.

At this point in time, I'm not as concerned with a particular number as I am with being able to see if the count goes up or down when I turn on my dust collector. And then to see if the count remains down when I start woodworking. Hope this helps.

Ed

Last edited:
Back