Another DC Closet? Doubting Myself Again

Kennyd

I started building a closet for my CV1500 this past weekend as part of a basement re-model to add a room. The two walls separating the shop from the room is of the staggered-stud design for noise control.

So I framed the closet with 2x4's, then lined the inside with 1/2 foam board to hold pink R13 insulation in place-the though process was to enclose the sound. Exterior will be something like T1-11 or whatever is reasonably priced.

Now I am re-thinking/over-thinking this...I think the foam board may just amplify the sound and do nothing to help muffle/absorb the sound. I have read of the "Rock Wool" bats for insulation...Where are you guys buying that?

Also, I need a return for air. I have two options-One is the opposed return vents in the side of the closet with the low one inside and the high one outside or I can leave the center cavity open between the floor joist's to channel the air past the motor for cooling also-but that leaves a huge hole for noise to escape as well. Pictures below show the two options.

I added the insulated duct to the exhaust a while ago, and it did make a fair improvement, I do not find it to loud, but with the new room being added I need to make it as quiet possible.

Please offer opinions...

Attachments

• Staggered Stud Wall (Large).jpg
    Staggered Stud Wall (Large).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Closet Front Top1 (Large).JPG
    Closet Front Top1 (Large).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Closet Side1 (Large).JPG
    Closet Side1 (Large).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Closet Front Bottom (Large).jpg
    Closet Front Bottom (Large).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi Kenny, I haven't built my closet yet but I plan on using rock wool insulation. It's called Roxul, search it on the Home Depot site and you will find it. I noticed in your pictures the nose of a model airplane and a few other parts, time to get that stuff up and flying again! :)

Hi Kenny, I haven't built my closet yet but I plan on using rock wool insulation. It's called Roxul, search it on the Home Depot site and you will find it. I noticed in your pictures the nose of a model airplane and a few other parts, time to get that stuff up and flying again! :)

Thanks Billy! I am searching out the Roxul in the AM...the local 84 lumber is listed as a dealer but not HD.

I also thought about lining the closet with PVC lattice to hold whatever insulation in place. It should be cheap enough, easy to handle and cut and has large hole so the insulation can do it's job.

That plane is a Skywalker-with a YS91 4-stroker...man that thing flew great! One day it will fly again I hope. I just sold 2 of my 3 Heli's though:(

Last edited:
A friend of mine showed me some plastic mesh, about 1" squares. Says he got it at Home Depot, haven't looked yet but I will use that to hold the roxul if I can find it.

Looking good Kenny, I really like the latice idea to hold the roxul in place. I haven't started my install yet and might have to copy your idea. Hope to get started on it soon, still have a couple combat airplanes to finish up for this summers flying season, Gremlins, I bet you know what they are. Got my Festool CT36 last week, awesome machine. Now I just need to get my dust collector up and running!

Back