Another wiring question

robdav

When it says to connect L1 to certain wires and L2 to certain others, L1 and L2 are just ways of designating a wire and then the other one from the panel, right? Or do you really need to connect them in a certain way?

Yes, they need to be connected per the instructions. It will not only make the difference in the motor working, it will also determine if the motor turns clockwise, or counter-clockwise. Very important if you want the cyclone to move air properly to work as it is designed. The wires in the motor connection box are labeled to match the diagram. The two hot wires from the breaker box can be interchanged without any issues.
Also, make sure all of the wires in the diagram are present. My motor, ordered directly from Electric Motor Warehouse came with the bare end of one of the wires mounted between the motor box and the motor housing. I all but threw the switch when a little voice said to go back and check the wiring again. No telling what would have happened if I hadn't found the problem. Hope this helps! Jim.

All of the wires in the motor look to be together correctly. My concern was with L1 and L2 from the panel and then from the contactor. If I am understanding your reply correctly, they are interchangeable and I don't need to be concerned about which one is L1 and which one is L2. That is what I thought was the case because I didn't see any way to distinguish them. Thanks.

Yes, your two hot leads are interchangeable. They are also the ones that pass through the contactor, thus the connection being made or cut on those two wires, depending on the trigger voltage being applied (contact made) or being cut off (contact cut). Keep in mind I'm not an electrician, as I say below. But the instructions are tried and true. Jim.

Thanks. I got the electricity all hooked up, including the remote control and a manual switch. It works and spins in the right direction. Now for the duct system. That's going to take a while.

That's always a good thing!!!:D Best advice I can give you on the ducting is to make it as simple as possible. See if there is a straight line from the cyclone to the farthest tool that you can still use a 45 degree wye to branch off to each of the other tools. Or one main pipe down the center of the shop that branches off to each of the other tools. The fewer turns the pipe makes to each tool, and the shorter the pipe run, the better the air flow. Also if possible, have a 5' or longer straight pipe into the cyclone if possible. This cuts down on the turbulence inside the pipe and increases separation of fine particles in the cyclonic process. Have fun, play with lots of possible plans on paper, then go for it. If you want to run designs by us all, please do so. You might get several ideas that will make you think about something a different way. I don't always follow what others tell me, but their ideas are always invaluable! Jim.

Back