Anyone using Fiber Drum collection bins?

gstuartw

I'm looking for a good collection bin. Steel drums are an obvious choice but I'm having a difficulty finding nice clean 30 gallon drums with full lids. Uline sells various sizes including 30 gallon, all with steel lids and locking bands. http://www.uline.com/BL_8151/Fiber-Drums

I'm leaning toward 30 gallon as they will be much lighter when full and I can easily fit 2 in my DC closet. That way I will have one empty always ready to swap out when the other fills.

Has anyone been using Fiber Drums, whether from Uline or not, and how do they perform?

Stuart

I got 30/35/40 gal from "Dan the Barrel man" free in San Antonio. 55 gal cost $27. All with locking metal band lids.

Drums

Drums

I am also curious about this. U-Line has a whse here in Atlanta. They sell Fiber drums, rated 1G/Y141/S. I googled that. Am just wondering if anyone knows if they stand up to the vacuum?
30 gal= about $46

Thanks, David

More questions please

More questions please

Hi,

I went to the U-Line whse yesterday and got a steel barrel, 30 gallon. $90. Anticipate no problems ongoing with that. (my engineer friend said the current trash can top was not planar.)

Now, I would like to make the MDF lid that McRabbett has made-that set up is immaculate. (I really like the opticall sensors, but don't have the $ right now.
)
Since I got the vacuum working right after all these years, I have to undo all the duct tape/trash can stuff this wkd from all the mahogany I milled last wkd.

My question is this (to McRabbett, or anyone else-whom I appreciate greatly:)).......I have some 3/4" MDF. The lip on the steel barrel is 5/8" wide, 29" diameter. I was thinking about routing a 1" wide groove, 1/2" deep, placing some adhesive backing weather stripping in that.

Is 1/2" deep enough? Do I need thicker MDF? I see the hasps McRabbett sent previously for holding on the lid, but the McRabbett's picture of his setup shows the lid held on by just the weight of the lid (if it is a really good fit)?

I am asking for a step by step instructions for the lid.....

Thank you, David

Anybody used ULine plastic drums?

Anybody used ULine plastic drums?

I've a CV1800 shipping to me, am in the market for a barrel.

Has anyone used the Fiber barrels?

Looking at ULines site - they also sell 'natural' plastic barrels:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19419/Drums/30-Gallon-Natural-Open-Top-Plastic-Drum-with-Lid

They are claimed to allow viewing of contents. I don't expect them to be 100% clear, but a lamp behind them ought to show height of contents. Plus they are cheaper than the steel barrels.

Thanks in advance
Nick

I was able to find white polyethylene barrels like the ones that ULine sells at local scrap and reseller locations -- I paid an average of $10 each for them. You might look for a food processing plant or laundry as these barrels are used to ship liquids (one of mine is a blue 55 gallon barrel that was used to ship tomato sauce weighing over 500 pounds) or soap. They are plenty strong.

I got a similar plastic barrel free from the car wash. It did not have the nice clamp on lid. The lid was sealed, so I had to cut it off and make an MDF lid. Maybe it is worth buying for the lid.
Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to put it to too much use but seems pretty sturdy.

How do you make a flange in these lids? I have a metal trashcan I have been using for years but want to change it out. I just used cnippers to cut a flange.

I suspect I just answered your post over on SMC concerning a replacement drum. I'd recommend a fiber drum from Penn State Industries and a 6" starter collar like one of these from your local big box store. Use machine screws with good sized washers to secure the starter collar and plenty of silicone sealant to keep it leak-free,

Back