Are 6" Blast Gates Really Self-Cleaning?

johnmos

I'm working out details for my system and was wondering about the ClearVue 6" blast gates. I saw some older comments that they were not self cleaning. The product description says they are. Was the design changed to address this?

Does the gate actually come out the other side of the housing to allow chips to be pushed out? I've heard the Lee Valley gates are very good (but sized for metal duct), but I like the fact the ClearVue is sized for PVC. If the CV are really self cleaning I'll go with them.

Thanks!

John

John,

The new model of blast gates from ClearVue is indeed self cleaning and quite different from the original gate produced before 2009. I have the original style that came with my CV1800 purchased in 2007 and recently bought six of the new model which feature a pair of 1/8" x 1/2" ports on the closed end that draw in air when the gate is open. As the slide is closed, air is drawn in through these ports to clean out any sawdust that may accumulate in the corners of the gate slot, keeping them clean. Some users drilled holes in the corners of the older gates to do the same, but these are very well designed gates, thanks to the original owners of ClearVue, Ed Morgano and his son Matt. And yes, they fit PVC duct perfectly.

Back