Best flex hose for 6" duct to machine

Barrel Saver

Finally, after off & on 5 year build I'm hooking up my CV MAX.

By now some of you must know the smart way to step or taper down from the 6" main pvc pipe to connect a table saw. Is the Kanaduct hose that you twist to taper down a good solution or is it smarter to use the Fernco Flexible Rubber Couplings with regular straight flex hose???

Suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance! TK

Barrel Saver,

Your best solution for maintaining maximum air flow is to use a 6" diameter port on your table saw. Several years ago, I modified my Grizzly cabinet saw by adding a shop-made port that I made from 3/4" plywood and a 6" PVC coupling cut in half. After cutting a hole with my Bosch jigsaw and roughing up the exterior of the coupling to help the gluing process, I glued the coupling into a square mounting block with Gorilla Glue. By using a coupling, I could connect a short S&D pipe section, the blast gate and then flex to connect to the 6" duct back to my dust collector. You should minimize the amount of flexible duct you use anywhere in your ductwork because of its high static pressure loss per foot.

Here is a link to a thread from last year where I showed the new port. Hope this helps.

Edit: I just added a photo that shows the construction of the ports.

Attachments

• Tablesaw Port 1.jpg
    Tablesaw Port 1.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Help, 6" Flex Hose Won't Go Onto 6" S&D PVC!

Help, 6" Flex Hose Won't Go Onto 6" S&D PVC!

My 6" ID wire reinforced PVC flex hose won't fit over my 6.250" OD S&D pipe. The pictures posted on our forum show many people using it this way. How do I do this?? I must be missing something! Please what is the technique?

I got the flex hose over the S&D pipe by cutting six or eight slots about 1" long in the end of the pipe.

Then, I took a piece of wood with a rounded edge (the radius on the edge of a 2x4 is good enough) and I used a mallet to go around the flex hose and drive the spring onto the pipe all the way around. With this method, I could get a couple inches of flex hose onto the pipe, more than enough for a good seal. Just work your way around and around the pipe hitting the spring with the piece of wood and mallet.

help flex won't go.

help flex won't go.

I cut a 4 x 10 inch rectangle opening into my Jet 10 in cabinet saw housing and attached a Home Depot HVAC 4 x 10 inch metal register to the tool with pop rivets and 3M metal HVAC tape. No leak, no fuss, just a few sparks when cutting the hole.

A short piece of 6 in flex is clamped onto the 6 inch opening from the register and then stuff a 6 inch S&D connector from Lowes onto the other end of the flex. I added pop rivets to this end also just cause the pop rivet is new. The S&D 6in pipe from Home Depot then slides into the connector and off you go.

My favorite method to reduce the diameter of PVC pipe is to create a small collar to fit inside the existing pipe.

Cut a 3-4" length of pipe, then remove a lengthwise sliver of pipe. This will allow you to insert the small piece of pipe inside a normal piece. It needs some glue or screws to hold it in place.

6" dia PVC with around 0.25" thickness needs about 0.8" wide sliver removed. 4" dia PVC with thinner walls would need about 0.5" removed.

Steve

Best 6" Flex Hose Connections

Best 6" Flex Hose Connections

Thanks for the advice folks. I guess I can stretch and pound on the 6" flex hose until I get it onto the 6" S&D pipe to clamp it. A bit of soapy water and sweat should help too. I'll post some pictures when its done! TK

Back