Best Shop vac to build the CV06 onto/into?

jon003

I have a older ridgid 12 gallon shop vac, and a stack of lowes and borg gift cards.

I'm looking to buy a larger shop shop vac for the sole purpose of building a cycloned shop vac out of the free CV06 I just got with my new ClearVue.

Has anybody done this, and if so, do they have any recommendations?

This will actually end up being a wheel-about vacuum, unless people suggest I could get away with a 20' hose.

ETA: before I got the CV06, I was leaning towards:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I would go for the most cfm that you can find. I was impressed that the home depot vac is advertised as 203 cfm. The air flow will drop fast when you start adding hose length to a shop vac. If you have the time to build something, another option would be to look into a central vac motor but you couldn’t use your cards. The gallery, Mini CV06 Galleries and DIY Cyclones, have some setups shown that might help.

I have one of Ed's Rigid replacement lids that converted the Rigid 1650 into a cyclone version. Rigid has changed the design a little but you could use their newer model (it sells for $100 and has a detachable blower) to build your own lid. The lid uses the full 16 gallon capacity of the vac so you're not stuck with a 5 gallon bucket. I also use a hepa filter. I can vacuum right in front of the laser particle counter and the numbers barely change. The unit is very handy.
bababrown

bababrown, I know this is a very old thread I'm resurrecting but I see you are still quite active in the Forum and hope you will see this and be able to respond. In your gallery photos you have a picture of your Rigid vacuum with a CV06 mini attached and with the housing/motor from the Rigid vacuum mounted sideways. Can you provide any additional pictures or details on how this unit is assembled? I'd like to do something similar with a Fein vacuum and hepa filter once the CV06 mini is back in production. Cathy tells me they ARE coming.

And THANK YOU for all of your excellent contribution in the CV Forum. Your comments are always on point and very helpful.

Regards,
Rush

Rush,
Log on and then do a search at the top of the page for "Old cv06 to shop vacuum adapter" started by servant74 on 03/08/2012. Then read my responses. You will find a complete set of photos showing how Ed and Matt built the unit. I have used mine a lot and I am still on my first HEPA filter. I would recommend building a version of this because it is compact and really handy.
bababrown

Rush,
Log on and then do a search at the top of the page for "Old cv06 to shop vacuum adapter" started by servant74 on 03/08/2012. Then read my responses. You will find a complete set of photos showing how Ed and Matt built the unit. I have used mine a lot and I am still on my first HEPA filter. I would recommend building a version of this because it is compact and really handy.
bababrown

Thanks! I'll go look at that thread.

I've looked at the thread "Old cv06 to shop vacuum adapter" and this looks like a great solution! Also a nice addition to the CV-1800 in the shop. Once the CV06 Mini is again available, I plan to adapt this design to my Fein vacuum. Looks reasonably easy to accomplish with a bit of work.

For those wondering what we're talking about, here's a picture bababrown posted:

fetch?id=10088.jpeg

Last edited:
This past month, Cathy confirmed to me that they really will be re-releasing the CV06. She checked with the owner who said they were still working to get the forms right for molding the unit. This is such a big investment that they want to be sure the forms are right before ordering the molds and going back into production. But..., still no time estimate for production to start.

It is well worth waiting for it -- I have one of the original models and the newer model -- I use mine with a 16 gallon ShopVac and hook it to my 12" Miter Saw or my Grizzly stationary belt/disk sander. It works great.

I agree, McRabbet. I've been waiting now for 10 months and will continue to wait because I believe the Bill Pentz design has just got to be better than the unit available from other cyclone makers. Once it becomes available again, I plan to build my version of Ed's design using a Fein shop vacuum. Ed used a Ridgid vacuum. Here's a link to a discussion with photos on how Ed's unit is built...

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the CV06 will be available again?

Larry, you posted 6 months ago asking about the Mini CV06. I just received an email from Clear Vue stating that the new production units would be available soon. If you've been on their waiting list for notification, they will send an email to you with a discount price offer when they are actually available. In the meantime, CV was extending a discount offer to clear their remaining inventory of factory seconds with cosmetic defects. If you have an interest, call Cathy Currier to inquire.

Edit, June 13: the old stock factory seconds are now showing on the website for order.

Last edited:
Back