BIG Problem with Installation Instructions

Chris Peisher

ok so i went through the steps in the manual to mount the backer board, and L brackets to the wall. I hauled the motor and impeller assembly up the ladder, with MUCH grunting, off balanceness, and danger, finally get to the top of the 10ft step ladder, and slide the plate onto the l brakcets and.......

he top of the motor hits my ceiling and wont fit. So after resting for about 4 mintues, and by rest i mean balance the ~70 or so pounds of motor, MDF and impeller, on my ladder top, i struggle to get back down the ladder. I move the L brackets down 1 inch and have to repeat the whole process. Moving them down was an effort in and of itself. I had already expended maximum effort in driving six 3" drywall screws through each of the 2x4s and into the wall. I had to use soap to lubricate the screws so they would drive the full depth, then i had to brace my head and shoulders up against the ceiling and press down with my feet onto the ladder hard enough so that i could press forward with my drill onto the screws with sufficient force to prevet the phillips driver from having "cam-out" and stripping the phillips recess in the screw. So now i had to do the same thing in reverse, move it down an inch, keep it square with one hand while not having the ceiling to aid in the alignment, and then drive the 6 screws all over again, only this time in a more contorted and tortuous way. Finally after all this rigamorole was over i had to haul the gigantor motor assembly back up to the 9ft ceiling in my garage via the 10ft step ladder and was able to push it into place.

Is there something wrong with the instructions for the mounting plate and L-brackets? The pictures in my manual show the backer/mounting plate flush with the ceiling and the motor fitting under it. Mine absolutely would not fit! If there's not a problem with the instructions, please tell what i missed in the whole assembly process. Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Installation Instructions

Installation Instructions

Hi,

The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that we are now adding a 3/4 x 2 inch wide strip on each side of the hanging bracket.....If that were faceing down that would account for 3/4 of inch and there's apparently enough adjustment in the threaded rod to account for the rest or all of it depending on which way the hanging bracket is. I am sorry for the trouble and am glad that you have pointed this out as it is the first we have heard of this happening.:eek:

Matt

Chris,
After I talked to you on the phone I went up and checked all of our dimensions and have determined that it was an accumulation of several tolerences. Our bushings are a little too long, the threaded rod a little too short and between those two things, your motor ended up too high. Please understand that because of the total height of the system, we are trying to keep the motor as close to the ceiling as possible (within 1/4") so we don't have much room for error. I'm sorry you had this problem. We are going to re-evaluate our dimensions on the individual parts to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Regards,

Ed

It could of been worse Chris. When I did mine I did the same thing except I used metal angle since my building is metal. Talk about a pain having to rework the metal brakets for the correct location.

Sounds like you need a cordless impact driver - once you use one you never look back.

Pleas post pics when you are done.

Mike

In retrospect

In retrospect

Ed, thanks for taking my call yesterday. It's really awesome to be able to reach you on the phone. Thanks, again, for investigating the issue, im glad to know i'm not crazy or illiterate :)

You are all right, i had a square drive drill bit, and actually saw the square drive screws when i was in Lowes getting the 2.5 and 3" drywall screws. I have heard nothing but good things about impact drivers. I should probably be shopping for one of those.

If i had to do it over again i would either borrow or buy the impact drive and use square drive screws that's for sure, but i did get it handled. It really wasn't that big of an ordeal, i just thought i might share a little chuckle with others on the forum who would be able to imagine themselves 9 ft in the air, ceiling texture falling all around and "wishing" the motor assembly would fit :)

Hope i provided some comical relief. Now i have got to figure out how to quiet this thing down. I just have the impeller, blower, cyclone (with cap tapped on the bottom), and transition mounted and this thing is DEAFENING in my garage. I hope it gets MUCH quieter when i connect the exhaust and intake duct. Otherwise Im going to have to do something different like build something around it or....i don't know...move to Mars... i heard motors and impellers weigh less there :)

I did successfully wire the 220v control circuit without killing myself or the motor. Looking forward to hooking it up. I mounted everything so high so i could fit a bigger trashcan under it, no im wondering where im going to get a 43" tall trashcan with an 18-20" diameter...

Last edited:
Chris,
About the trash can - A standard 55 gallon drum is about 36" tall. If you need to make up some length at the bottom, you can put casters under the drum.....and also extend the bottom of the cyclone with some 6" S&D pipe. You can screw it to the bottom fo the cyclone with some small sheet metal screws (keep them short) and then caulk around it...then attach the flex hose to the bottom of the S&D pipe.

Ed

Back