Bit the bullet

clayandnancy

I am now the proud owner of a Clearvue DC. Found one on ebay, it's about 5 years old and needs a little TLC. Also included were some unused Clearvue blast gates and 6" wyes and 45's for the piping. I think I'm going to disassemble it completely, maybe remake some of the MDF parts and paint it. Does anyone have any suggestions or things to look out for while in this process?

Shouldn't be any problems, unless the original owner used silicone to seal it up like I did!!:eek: Actually, mine was after a few coats of clear poly, so not too bad, and only sealed against the PTEG, not down in the grooves of the wood. Otherwise, it might tear the wood up getting the pieces apart. Others have used paint, but I felt like that would definitely be too thick. If you want some color, maybe stain it first then clear. If I was doing it again, I would do that and use Waterlox instead of poly. Much thinner coats.
Good luck with the project!! Jim.

Thanks Jim. From what I can tell there is some sealer at the transition piece to the filters, not a really good job of sealing. Should be easy to get off. I might make some new pieces using the old as templates as there are a couple of spots where the MDF separated, shouldn't be a problem.

Back