Blower not mounted on Cyclone body

Yellowwidget

Greetings all,

I am thinking about moving the blower off the top of the cyclone and mounting the blower in a different location. I am worried that the performance of the cyclone would be compromised if I did this and seeking advice. I am considering this mostly because it is too noisy in the shop. It is hard for me to sound proof due to it being a small shop (can’t build a closet around it). I figure if the motor\blower is outside of my shop while keeping the cyclone and trashcan in the shop I can reduce the noise.

Has anyone done this by any chance and can share results and advise please?

The motor itself isn't the noise culprit. The exhaust is the major noise source, with the air noise at the pickup points the next. I exhaust outside so my entire cyclone is inside. My TS is as loud as the cyclone running. Sounds like a small turbine engine outside though!!! If you can, try running the exhaust outside first and see what it sounds like before moving the motor off the cyclone and ducting it to the cyclone body. You'll want some 8" (minimum) insulated ducting to use for the exhaust. I didn't do that, but since I had a short run, I made an adapter to replace the turn down for the filters, added a metal adjustable elbow and an 8-6-6 metal wye.DSCN1291.jpgDSCN1316.jpg Then some short pieces of 6" flex to go to the louvers mounted to the outside of the gable end of the shop.DSCN1300.jpg But if you have a longer run to get outside, the insulated flex used in A/C installs will help quieten the noise some.
Hope this helps! Jim.

Thank you Jim for your advice. I will try the ducting outside first as you mentioned and then evaluate the situation.

Last edited:
Jim et al. I am still working on my ducting to the outside but.... just out of curiosity.

If I did end up moving the motor\blower off the top of the cyclone. Say we had about 8 feet of 9\10 inch diameter duct from the blower to the cyclone - how much efficiency would one lose? Still suck up small particles? I think I have read about the blower helping with the rotation of the air in the cyclone. If you move the blower off as I have mentioned would you lose this rotation or am I off base with this thought. As I have a small shop I just run a flex hose from the cyclone to the machines (just so you got an idea what the suck side looks like.

Thanks all for reading and for any help - this is my first DC unit so I am no expert in the topic so don't assume I know a lot on the topic :)

Yellowwidget,
Have you considered moving the entire unit outside the shop and then returning the air thru an opening?
bababrown

I am contemplating with that idea bababrown as it will help me free up the really limited space I have in my workarea. I would have to really sound proof it well - it would be very close to the neighbors. I also only have about 3 feet of buildable space beside my shop until I run against the distance I am allowed to build up to the fence line.

This weekend I got my ducting run from the cyclone into my attic area. The pipes are not insulated just yet. But per Jims recommendation I would wrap them in insulating material. Just from hooking up the exhaust ducts I noticed a substantial drop in noise. But it is still louder than I had hoped for. I have been in contact with acoustiblok to get some prices on their noise blocking membrane. Looks like a good product but kind of on the expensive side.

Anyone know of a reasonably price DB meter so I can take some real world readings. Would be good to see how loud it is compared to the other wood working tools I have.

Gratitude

Yellowwidget

I bought the Radio Shack meter. I can't remember the price but it was about as low as I found. It seems to work well. By the way, my "Wart" is about 20 feet from the line and about 35 feet from the neighbors deck and the sound isn't very irritating there. On my gallery site there are sound level readings.
bababrown

Well, exhausting outside with neighbors close is probably not a good idea. You will make some enemies very quickly. :eek: It would be ok to put the cyclone outside, then send the exhaust back in to the filters. Build a small closet to put the filters in to keep from taking up too much floor space. You could even put them side by side and keep it more as a large cabinet. Build a large folded horn type of return from the closet/cabinet to the shop. Maybe on two sides. This will make the air make at least 2 U-turns. This is the same principle as a car muffler. Changing directions makes the sound waves partially cancel themselves out. Needs to be a large enough area to keep the air speed at a minimum to reduce the rushing air noise. I'll send you a link in a private message that shows how one woodworker made this work for him. Jim.

revising an old thread with original question

revising an old thread with original question

Greetings all,

I am thinking about moving the blower off the top of the cyclone and mounting the blower in a different location. I am worried that the performance of the cyclone would be compromised if I did this and seeking advice. I am considering this mostly because it is too noisy in the shop. It is hard for me to sound proof due to it being a small shop (can’t build a closet around it). I figure if the motor\blower is outside of my shop while keeping the cyclone and trashcan in the shop I can reduce the noise.

Has anyone done this by any chance and can share results and advise please?

I know this was asked a few months back but the answers were all around reducing noise and not the separation. I have the same question ie: can the impeller and motor be separated from the cone and bin? I have a separate 'wood shed' but it is too short to put the whole CV unit in, so I want to keep the cyclone and bin in the 'big shed' but the motor and impeller in the 'wood shed'. As the main thing I use is a woodworking lathe I want the DC to be quieter than that (perhaps this is wishful thinking). I will then vent outside the wood shed without filters. I am far enough away from neighbours and in a climate where I will not use heating or cooling in the shed.
Hopefully someone has either done this or could make a reasonable guess at what would be involved and whether any (and how much) loss there would be in cfm, etc. I think of it as similar to hooking up a cyclone prior to a standard DC which is the other thing I am thinking about :)
thanks
Mick (from down under)

diagram of shed

diagram of shed

attached is a diagram of the shed and wood shed. The diagram is using sophisticated technology :)

Attachments

• BH Shed.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
oh well - no CV for me

oh well - no CV for me

oh well, it does not look like this has been done (and therefore is probably not viable) so I will need to look for an alternative.
Mick

all may not be lost......

all may not be lost......

I also put this question out there on my Australian woodworking (under Dust Extraction) Forum and yesterday received the reply below. I'd be very, very interested if others who have installed a CV think this will as easy.

thanks

Mick

Attaching ducting to the top of a CV Cone would be very easy. The cone and blower have two mdf disks, one in the top of the cone and the bottom of the blower. Normally you just line up the central holes in both and screw them together with particle board screws. The screws go through the bottom of the Blower housing ( there are predrilled starter holes in the blower bottom plate) and into the mdf disk in the top of the Cone.

If you were to cut a MDF disk the same OD as the cone and cut a central hole same size as the cental duct you could use this to attach ducting which would be completely removable. This would not damage the CV and it could be returned to the normal state if required.

In fact if my system proves to be too noisy and I cant quieten the sound I will end up doing this to mine and shift the Blower & exhaust out of the workshop

Back