Branch Questions

J

John M

[I was just about to send this to Ed via e-mail but then I decided to instead post to the forum incase others had similar questions.]

Hi Ed,

I just got done putting in my raised floor and spiral pipe when I came across Bill's site and saw your ad. I'd been using the Nagyszalanczy Dust
Collection book as my guide and was thoroughly disappointed to see Bill's strong warnings against the use of 4" branches to machines from a 6" pipe as had been recommended in the book.

Due to the time and expense I've already invested, I've pretty much ruled out changing over to 6" branches at this point. I'm hoping that the relatively short length of my runs (35' main line with 4 45 degree 4" branches) and use with only hobbiest power tools (10" contractors saw, 6" jointer, 13" planner, etc) combined with a strong motor will overcome the apparent problems with 4" branches.

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you may be able to assist with:

1) Ideally, I'd like the cyclone to be located roughly 8 feet away from my workroom wall. This would necessitate an ~12 foot air return run back inside the workshop to the filter canisters. Would the extra length of this run represent a problem? What is the diameter of the return run? Finally, is mounting the filter canisters horizontally near the ceiling and taking them down periodically to clean them a viable solution for a small shop?

2) Do you make 4" blast gates?

3) Bill's remedy for the 4" branches is to keep a couple blast gates open to ensure enough velocity in the main line to hopefully prevent clogging in the main line. Instead of open blast gates on the branches, I'm wondering if the same affect could be had by making holes in the end cap of the 6" main line? Or would this somehow prevent sufficient velocity in my 4" branches?

Thanks for your help. I've pretty much decided to go with your system.

-- John

Hi John,
I'll try to answer your questions. You said you would like your cyclone to be located 8' from your work room.....in another room?....outside? You weren't specific about that or the reason. If it's for sound, you should keep the filters out there too. Most of the sound comes right after the blower in the upper portion of the filters. A long return air to the filters would deaden that of course, but it makes the plumbing more complicated. Remember, any leaks on the pressure side of the blower will spread fine dust (that which the cyclone doesn't catch and which you normally can't see) in your shop. Mounting the filters horizontally is a viable solution....till you let your trash bin overflow and fill up the filters. If you promise not to let your trash bin overflow then it's ok....<smile> For a return air....if you pipe from the blower to the filters, I would use an 8" pipe. If you mount the filters outside the shop too then I would cut a 14 x 24" opening in the wall to let the air back in.

We don't make 4" blast gates. You can buy them at several places for somewhere around 4.95 - 6.95 ea. We can't buy the material for that.

I will suggest that you will need a 6" drop for your contractors saw to do a good job. You need a lower pickup and an overarm pickup to get the dust properly. One 4" line just isn't enough to do the job here. Other than that, you will probably be fine with the other 4" pickups. Instead of caping the end of the line, just put a 6" blast gate there. That way if you do have a clogging problem you can open the gate just enough to keep the pipe free while not reducing your airflow to the machines too much. Once you get it where you want it you can clamp it in that position.

Ed

Back