Canadian filter suppliers

Nako

Hello all,

I thought I saw a thread on this forum the other day regarding filter suppliers in Canada? In any case, I wanted to add that I got a couple of polyester pleated filter cartridges from Maddocks Industrial Filter Division here in my home town of Hamilton, Ontario. They had a couple in stock, but were also able to make paper filters on demand as well. Their web site is www.maddocksgroup.com I would add that the customer service for providing product spec info was great!

Nako

Canadian Filter Suppliers

Canadian Filter Suppliers

I have been moving posts around and may have moved it to the wrong place. Thank you for providing the information for everone!!

Matt

I too had a couple of polyester filters made for me at the Maddocks Group (Hamiltion ON) while I was in Toronto for a conference last fall. The sales person told me that someone from Windsor ON had been there a week or two before and picked up filters.

Seems like the paper filters are the same price as the US ones, the polyester ones are more (but washable). As I was there to pick them up in person I don't know what shipping costs might be to other parts of Canada.

Interestingly enough I believe that they subcontract for Camfil Farr. Salesman showed me a filter with their logo on it!?

So anybody that can get to Hamilton could pick up filters there. They don't usually stock so call first so that they can be made up.

Fred Alexander

Hey Dog House,

Glad to hear that supplier worked out for you. I picked the poly spun filters for the same longevity reasons. I might be mixed-up, but did you say that you were considering a filter box? Have you installed your filters yet? I posted a few pics of my filter box in a sub folder "Nako NRHybrid Filter Box & Machine Ducting" inside my Nako's Noise reduction Hybrid gallery. I have since found a few more photos that I took along the way and will add these soon to the same sub folder. Hope that helps.

Nako

I decided against the filter box as I don't really have enough room. The unit is stuck in a corner (in a closet), so the filters are stacked in the traditional fashion. The unit has been fired up twice without filters and piping to see if we had the wiring right. Man, I thought the corner of the building was going to lift off the concrete! I think the electrician was more surprised than I was. At any rate, I now know that it works!

Next step is to find the 6" stuff. Nothing here in Thunder Bay, in fact they don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I'm going to take the spec's and product numbers that I found on this forum and give it another try with the wholesalers here. I know that they handle IPEX product, perhaps just a matter of getting them the product code. Just ordered a Steel City cabinet saw, 15" planer, 18" band saw and 8" Jointer the other day, so things are starting to come together. Hopefully by spring, we'll be fully functional. Yipee!

Where does "Dog House" come from (for those who might wonder), well that's what the kids call the shop, and that's where my wife will send me when... oh well, might just as well be a pleasant place! Might have to get a cot!

Fred Alexander

Steel City Saw

Steel City Saw

Fred, a bit off topic, but I, too, am looking at getting one of those Steel City saws, to replace an old Craftsman saw I've taken about as far as I can. Fixed everything but the arbor, and haven't got a good plan for that. So, while the sparky is adding a 30 amp 220 circuit for the ClearVue, I'm having him add a few 20 amp ones as well.

Only problem is I can't find anyone who'll take the old Craftsman. But push comes to shove, Habitat or Goodwill might just get it.

Anyway, would be interested in any pro / con comments you might have from using your new saw. If you'd rather keep it off the forum, feel free to email or private message me.

Regards,

DWD

DWD, I'm hoping that the Steel City products will be delivered next week. May be a challenge in getting the tools into the shop as they are heavy and we have ice and snow here in Thunder Bay.

Once I have all up and running I'll let you know what I think. I originally saw the brand in Toronto while visiting a national woodworking show put on for cabinet makers and the like. As a financial advisor I did not qualify to get in, but one of my good clients (runs a pro cabinet shop) got me a free pass. The Canadian folks that represent Steel City were there with the whole product line. I was quite impressed with the look and quality of the tools and liked the 5 year warrantee. Originally I was going to buy the General brand (with a 2 year Cdn warrantee). As it turns out the local dealer in Thunder Bay carries both brands. So we'll see... hopefully I made the right choice.

Fred

Steel City

Steel City

Thanks, Fred.

No doubt you've heard, several thousand times, "Well, the broker made money, and the firm made money. Two out of three ain't bad." Don't think anyone but the shorts are making money in this market.

We have a nice little tool retailer not too far away in Garden City, GA, that carries most of the tool lines for the hobbyist / small firm market. They carry Steel City as well as a lot of the competition. One that more or less disappeared over the past year or so was Jet. Think Jet decided they could extract more dollars from wallets by using the Powermatic name they acquired in one of the consolidations, thus cut funding for Jet tool development and marketing, or are attempting to reposition it lower on the totem pole. Though not of the same levels, think Bosch / Skil or B&D / Dewalt. Will be entertaining to see what happens to Porter Cable and Delta.

Thanks,

DWD

Back