Closet Size

Stacy12

Is there a minimum size that a closet should be to house my system that will still reduce noise and allow for adequate venting for the motor? I don't have a ton of room in my garage shop and would like to build an enclosure around my new system for noise control. Just hated the thought of building it then realizing it's too small.

Closet size

Closet size

Stacy12,
I went with 2X4 construction with 48"X48" outside dimensions. That leaves 41"x41" on the inside. There are drawings in the "drawings and spec" section which you can use to set your dimensions. I would not skimp at all in height. I went with 97" and it still is a squeeze in height using the standard garbage can.
bababrown

My closet inside dimensions are 48" wide by 32" deep (with one corner cut at about 45 deg due to an access panel being in the way leaving a 16" side at one end). The sides are made from 4 easily removable panels insulated inside and out. The frame to which the panels are mounted can be fully removed with only 6 lag bolts. I can fully disassemble the closet in less than 15 minutes giving full access for working on the cyclone. I measured about an 18db drop with the closet.

Last edited:
By the way, regarding motor cooling, my exhaust air goes past the motor, into a folded 2 level plenem built between the joists in the attic, before returning to the shop.

Blabbott thanks for the insights. Do you have any other source of air into the closet other than the air drawn in through the ducts? I'm planning on some sort of baffle like Ed did in his shop and didn't know if you need another air source. I do have 10 ft ceilings so I will have plenty of space above my motor for the hot air to escape to.

Stacy,
I assume you are fully enclosing the closet somehow, either extending the walls up to the ceiling or putting on a roof. Either way, you will need to somehow ensure the exit air passes by the motor, forcing hot air from the top.
My ceiling is 8' high. I had to build an alcove up between the joists for the motor and to ensure a couple inches of headspace above the motor. The exit from the alcove into the plenem exits from that alcove to ensure the motor is cooled. My folded 2 layer plenem is 5' long each way so 10' long total with a cross section or 110 sq in which does a good job of baffling any noise in the exit air. I believe that Ed's baffle forces the exit air from the top, down the side and out at the bottom. I think this should cool the top air and motor in your case just fine. The air from the filters should easily cool the motor. Before I built the closet, I originally had a small blower that forced cooler air past the motor in the alcove. With the closet, it is probably no longer needed, but is still in place anyway.

My closet has a 29" by 45" outside dimension in the corner of my shop. The inside dimension is 25" by 41". It fits a 55 gallon plastic barrel with about 1" of clearance all around. The filters are in the corner. A baffle blows air up from the filters then back down as it goes past the motor. The air exits behind a false back in a wall cabinet.

Steve

Back