collection bin overflow damage impellor ?

Jake Darvall

Hi,

I will be installing my 1800 without filters outside.

And I won't have a bin overflow sensor for a while, or some means to stop it from happening.

And no doubt, being absorbed in my work, it will overflow on occation. But thats ok because I don't mind making a mess outside. Just concerned about damaging the impeller in some way when it does. Is it a worry ?

Guessing it won't be a problem. don't know.

appreciate your thoughts . ta.

Hi,

It's is a material handling impeller.....but I wouldn't recommend putting chunks of wood through the impeller as that would more than likely damage something as it is connected to a 5 HP motor. As far as chips go that'd be fine and I know that it'll handle that. Anyway I have a window in my wall and have still managed to overflow it when plaining as a few boards make alot of chips. I installed a cv1800 sunday and and added a 55 gallon trash bin on mine so i am hoping that'll help and I have gotten into the habit of glancing at it every few mins when i am plaining.

I have not tested blocks of wood through the impeller nor am I going to as they are not supposed to ever reach it and besides it's dangerous even if it could handle it! I can't even imagine the forces involved in such a thing happening!

Hope this helps,

Matt

Hi,

It's is a material handling impeller.....but I wouldn't recommend putting chunks of wood through the impeller as that would more than likely damage something as it is connected to a 5 HP motor. As far as chips go that'd be fine and I know that it'll handle that. Anyway I have a window in my wall and have still managed to overflow it when plaining as a few boards make alot of chips. I installed a cv1800 sunday and and added a 55 gallon trash bin on mine so i am hoping that'll help and I have gotten into the habit of glancing at it every few mins when i am plaining.

I have not tested blocks of wood through the impeller nor am I going to as they are not supposed to ever reach it and besides it's dangerous even if it could handle it! I can't even imagine the forces involved in such a thing happening!

Hope this helps,

Matt

It does help thankyou Matt. Clearing up a lot of my concerns.

I'm bit of a absent minded professor though. I'm bound to one day suck up something thick I'm thinking.

Some fairly heavy chunks come off my lathe. Maybe I should place wire mesh over every port to stop a disaster ?? Would that affect CFM I wonder.

Hi,

If you could put a small window in where your cyclone is that would let you see what was going on alot easier. I would say just try the wire mesh idea and see how it works. Maybe you can put wire mesh over the discharge tube so that you won't have to worry about all the pickups. If you decide to use mesh find a size that doesn't collect chips but will prevent blocks from going through.

One other thing is your shop heated and cooled? If so this thing is going to change the air out pretty quickly and you are going to need to provide return air from the outside to replace the air you are pumping outside through the collector. I guess you will be ok to start with but i'd consider adding a few walls and making a room with the cyclone and filters with a return back to your shop as a long term plan.

Matt

If you could put a small window in where your cyclone is that would let you see what was going on alot easier. I would say just try the wire mesh idea and see how it works. Maybe you can put wire mesh over the discharge tube so that you won't have to worry about all the pickups. If you decide to use mesh find a size that doesn't collect chips but will prevent blocks from going through.
I'm trying to visualise it now, and thinking maybe the big stuff will be too heavy to rise up to the impeller anyway. But, I don't know. I haven't set up the cyclone yet.

What do you mean by the discharge tube ?

I see what your saying about putting it one spot only though.

One other thing is your shop heated and cooled? If so this thing is going to change the air out pretty quickly and you are going to need to provide return air from the outside to replace the air you are pumping outside through the collector. I guess you will be ok to start with but i'd consider adding a few walls and making a room with the cyclone and filters with a return back to your shop as a long term plan.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm guessing I needed worry about that.

I don't have filters in my particular setup, because I didn't feel I needed them. Its all outside. Save on having to keep them clean and worry about them getting clogged or damaged. Hoping I made the right decision there.

We have a pretty temperate climate here. I'm in Northern N.S.W Australia. The temperatures arn't that extreme that airconditioning really isn't required. We have one in the house but probably only used a few weeks every year for the family when we have a heat wave or frost.

I've never felt I needed airconditioning in a workshop. So I'm lucky there I guess.

Last edited:
Wire Mesh

Wire Mesh

Jake,

At some time in an earlier thread, folks were discussing a contraption LG patented to reduce swirl into the impeller. Essentially it was a cruciform shape inside the inner tube, that goes from cyclone to impeller. The idea behind it was to kill the swirl and make the flow to the impeller more uniform.

In that discussion, I thought about putting some sort of plastic mesh, like some of the flourescent fixture diffusers you often see in office buildings, sort of a half inch mesh about a quarter inch thick, usually styrene, sometimes chrome plated for a softer lit work environment. Haven't tried it yet, but given the discussion below and your concern about keeping large chunks out of the impeller, something similar might solve your problem. Heck, might even improve flow, but at this point, don't really know about that.

As for chunks, I think you'd probably have to reach substantial size, say 1" cube, before the impeller would even notice it.

With CV's design, you can easily remove the top plate and central tube. There are four screws that hold the outer cylinder to the top. The inner cylinder is glued into the top with clear caulk. So, remove the four screws, pull off the top and with it the central tube. Then I'm thinking you might be able to carefully attach some 1/4" mesh hardware cloth or the like to the inner tube, at its bottom. Were it me, I'd probably try to make some sort of ring I could slide into the inner tube, attach the cloth to it, and then run screws through the inner cylinder into the ring. Then reinsert the lid and inner ring into the cyclone and away you go.

Another possibility that would avoid having to mess with the inner tube and the custom ring would be to simply insert a piece of hardware cloth between the top of the cyclone and the bottom of the blower housing. This option might be easier, but if you select this option, use either some sort of gasket foam or a goodly amount of caulk to ensure the cloth doesn't invite air leaks at that joint.

Regards,
DWD

Hi,

I have been out of town and what dave said is what i was thinking about. You don't have to worry about chucks getting to the impeller unless a full cyclone is going to be your normal situation. I think as you start using the dust collector you are going to get a pretty good idea of when it's close to full. It'll be alot easier to empty trash can than trying to get all those chips out of the cyclone.

Keep us posted,

Matt

"Full Cyclone"

"Full Cyclone"

Jake,

If I may be so bold, I think what Matt was trying to get across is when the bin gets full, any more chips and dust can't fall into the bin, get sucked into the inner tube and impeller, then, if you had filters, into them. It is the filters that I think Matt was saying aren't that easy to clean.

But you're not using filters, as I recall earlier posts, so then the only issue for you would be to remove any overflow chips and dust from the airstream upwind of the inner cyclone tube.

Hope that clarifies. Old joke about the US and England being separated by a common lanuguage. Appears a similar story for Australia.

Regards,
DWD

Hi,

And no doubt, being absorbed in my work, it will overflow on occation. But thats ok because I don't mind making a mess outside. Just concerned about damaging the impeller in some way when it does. Is it a worry ?

I was just referring back to that.....chunks or blocks are not a concern until the bin is full and the cyclone is full then everything is going to hit the impeller which is where we started talking about the screen(not a problem for chips as dave said in an earlier post). I just wanted to clarify that if a full trash bin and cyclone were going to be a normal thing then you may want to consider some grate or screen(already discussed)....if it just happens on occasion then i wouldn't worry with it. When the bin is full the cyclone will fill up to the discharge tube and it's a pain to clean that out too because the cyclone has the cone on the bottom and all those chips have to come out the 6 inch opening on the bottom. They won't just fall out.(I have experience with this....lol) I may have confused everyone more and I apologize if i did.

Sorry for the confusion,

Matt

Back