Concerning blast gates with CVMax

Nyaniko

I have a new CVMax being shipped to my location, so I am currently preparing the 8" PVC ducting with 6" drops. I live in a community and it occurred to me: What if someone turns on the cyclone and all the blast gates are closed. Will it collapse the ducting? Or is there some sort of safety in the motor which guards against this happening?

PVC ducting is strong enough that the CV max will not collapse it under any conditions. The max will not pull more than about 18 inches of water column so it is like pushing a piece of PVC sealed pipe 18" down in water. Good luck with your install.
bababrown

Thanks, one more question

Thanks, one more question

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. Also, I read you can use 8" pipe with 6" drops on the CVMax, but what if one of those is a 4" drop. will 4" work or will the suction just peeter out to nothing with that kind of reduction? What if one line gets reduced all the way to 2-1/2"? (i.e. for band saw)

Every bend and reduction "costs" some performance loss in air flow -- a reduction from 8" to 6" does change the maximum airflow at that point, but it is still high enough to carry anything a hobbyist-level woodworking machine can produce (you'll still get over 800 cfm through). A reduction to 4" will limit airflow to about 400 cfm and to 2-1/2" about half that. Each tool has different airflow needs to remove the significant dust and most are in the 300 CFM or higher category. Two 2-1/2" ports on a bandsaw will still draw most sawdust, but remember to keep the smaller sized duct runs a short as possible, the number of turns to a minimum and limit the amount of flexible duct to the final connections. The CVMax has a great deal of power and should provide excellent exhaust performance if it your duct layout minimizes static pressure losses.

A problem with 4 inch and 2.5 inch drops is that the 8 inch pipe gets starved for airflow unless you add multiple small drops. Also, I've found the bandsaw to be one of the toughest machines for dust collection. I've split my 6 inch line to three 4 inch lines at the bandsaw. One is in front of the blade, one is low on the side, and the last collects from the top of the table. Still it loses too much dust to the air.
bababrown

Back