Custom low-profile dust collection bin

dvco01

I'm trying to see if I can configure a CV1450 into my garage shop with low ceilings, and I do not want to cut open the sheetrock ceiling, remove insulation, and put the motor up between the joists. The ceiling is 86" high. I've calculated that I can just fit an 18" high custom dust bin directly under the bottom of the cyclone.

My design is a rectangular air-tight box, whose front is hinged to lift up so I can slide out a rectangular, clear, polycarbonate food container to dispense the dust. The first question I have is could a rectangular dust bin even work, or do the fluid dynamics of a cyclone require a round dust bin? Thanks in advance, Dave

I'm pretty sure a rectangular bin will work as long as it isn't really long. The food container will need to be strong or it will collapse.

Have you considered tilting the cyclone on an angle to be able to use a taller bin? The gallery, before the software upgrade had pictures of two that were tilted and there is a gent in Ontario, that has recently tilted his. He said it was working the same as when he had it installed vertically in another shop. He set up his based on a drawing the former CV owners did for a gent installing one in an attic that was in the old Knots form (post 9). https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/clear-vue-cyclone While tilting the cyclone reduces the height requirement (under 5 feet for cyclone and motor) it uses some of the wall space but with shelving or racking for clamps above and below you don't loose it all.

Pete

Back