CVMAX vs. CV06 Mini

TimTucker

This may sound like an odd choice to be making, but here's my current situation:

My current workspace is a 2 car garage where I'm dealing with dust via a combination of working with the door open, using a shop vac w/ hepa filter, and a half mask respirator w/ P100 cartridges.

Long term I'm planning on building a pole barn where I'll be designing from the start with larger main ducts in mind.

There is a 220 outlet in one corner of the garage and just enough space that I think I can squeeze in a CVMAX, but there's not much room for ducting.

Given that I'm only going to be running 1 tool at a time (table saw, jointer, miter saw, router, drill press), would it be crazy to think about using a CVMAX reduced down to a 2.25" flex hose until I build the larger shop?

Or does make far more sense to just get a CV06 Mini, connect it to my shop vac, and call it a day until I get a larger workshop?

I guess it boils down to the definition of "long term" and your budget, plus a better definition of the 220 outlet. If "long term" translates to "pipe dream" (i.e., many years), then if your 220 outlet is on a dedicated 30 amp circuit, a CV1800 or CV Max might make the best sense, but I would not use any less than a 6" main and 4" drops to your tablesaw, jointer and miter saw with blast gates. A CV06 mini is a good option at any time for smaller tools like the drill press and even the mitersaw, and certainly a random orbit sander. If you plan future use of one tool at a time and you are not running multiple machines or a big belt sander like a 50" Timesaver, then I'd opt for a CV1800 which has plenty of capacity for a one-man shop. Even if you decide to use flexible duct to each machine, get some 6" rather than shop vacuum hose.

Long term is probably 2-3 years.

Did some more checking -- I was thinking the 220 coming off the subpanel in the garage was 30A based on the plug being rated for 30A, but apparently the breaker (and presumably the underlying wiring) is only 20A.

Not feeling like running new wiring at the moment, so I went ahead and ordered the mini. From what you're saying, it sounds like I'll probably still have plenty of uses for it for more mobile tasks (like the ROS) even if I do upgrade later.

The only reason most of us have bought the Clear Vue is because we have serious concerns about our lungs and respiratory health. In addition, a few of us, me included, just like having a really clean shop.

If you are serious about a CVMAX or a CV1800, the cost of a new 220v/30amp line is so minor to be laughable.

To connect a CVMax to 2.5 inch flexible line is comical.

A Shop Vac connected to a table saw? A miter saw? Now that is someone who has faith. The CV06 mini can increase the dust separation but it can't work miracles. You still need air flow to capture dust. As an experiment I tried using a ShopVac on my table saw. The cabinet filled up with sawdust almost immediately. There just isn't enough air volume at enough speed to move the dust/chips.

With great power comes great responsibility. When you buy a CVMAX or a CV1800, you are accepting the teachings of Bill Pentz and an army of true believers. Trunk lines of 8 and 6 inches; double drops of 4 inch lines; massive surgery on your biggest dust generators to make 6 inch ports; pride that you used solid pipe from the DC to the dust generator, only using flexible hose to overcome poor machine dust port designs. We laugh when we spend money on solid metal or PVC or HDPE piping because we know, deep down where we are all afraid to go, that eventually we are going to move stuff around or buy new machines and cut up most of this piping.

So save you money until you get your new shop set up and can install the CVMax or CV1800 properly.

Back