Cyclone Closet

TomL

Ed, (or anyone)
Just looked at your post about using a seperate closet (outside) for your cyclone.
Saw no entionof using a return air.
As my new shop is both heated and air conditioned, returning the clean air is very important to me.
If I use a corner closet inside the shop, and insullate the walls well, will extra filters installed om either a door or a wall allow the air to return with out a lot of sound ( sound is the main reason for the enclosure!)
Just wondered how the other members addressed this problem?
Andthanks for the link to the vibration bushings,
Thanks
TomL

Tom,
You can build a room outside with a return air like I did. I put the return air down low (I made mine 14 1/2 x 24 to fit in between studs ) because the noise is coming from the blower area and the top part of the filters. I put a baffle over the return vent to further dampen the sound. My shop measured 72 db when I got finished. That's with just the cyclone running and no vents open. If you put a closet inside the shop and insulate it well, you should have about the same results.

Ed

Tom or anyone,
I believe that duct board might be a really good answer to sound control. This link is for a picture and description only. You should be able to find it and any HVAC supply house. http://owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=271&system=81. There are several other brands that all seem to be similar.

About a year ago I got a call from a customer who had a question. The conversation moved to the noise level and he turned his unit on for me and described his enclosure. Then he said he had a removable panel that he would put back on and call me back and let me listen to it again. He told me that he had built his enclosure out of MDF and lined the inside with duct board. Anyway, he called me back in a couple of minutes and told me to listen. I heard the click of the relay........... and then silence. I asked him when he was going to turn it on.........of course he said it was running. There was no sound that I could hear over the phone. He promised he would send pictures, but he never did so I sort of forgot about it. I haven't done this myself, but another customer just called tonight and he said they use the "duct board" for enclosing air compressors, diesel generators etc and it's very effective. He told me that a 4 x 10 sheet is around 30.00.

Ed

Last edited:
Back