Does the dust collector bin need to be exactly centred under the cyclone?

rdykens

I'm almost done installing my cyclone however after mounting everything on the wall I noticed that the foundation concrete that runs around the perimeter of my garage obviously displaces the collection bin by a few inches or so, meaning that the collection bin sits out farther than the cyclone body itself... enough so that it puts a curve into the flex hose that bridges the two units. Will this be an issue? If it is this means I will have to disassemble it all, take it down, rebuild a longer bracket and start the install over.

I have attached a diagram in case my explanation did not make sense. Untitled.jpg

rdykens,
I believe it is not a problem but I would consider redoing the lid to offset the hole and straighten the flex hose.
bababrown

Hi Bababrown. How would you suggest redoing the lid? I have already cut a giant hole top dead center of the steel drum lid... x_x

Get a new one and start over?

Rdykens,

Remounting the cyclone or relocating the drum lid hole so the extension flex hose is plumb and in line with the cyclone would be the safest way to proceed, although I am not sure the offset would make much of a difference. However if the offset is too serve, turbulence or increased side wall friction due to the offset could reduce the separation efficiency of the cyclone.

The existing hole in the drum lid could be covered with a piece of sheet steel from the home center, fastened with screws and cap nut and sealed with a gasket or silicone. Once this is finished, the new offset hole could be cut. If this is not feasible, then either re-mounting the cyclone or living with the offset would be my favored options. Buying a new steel drum and thereby adding additional cost to an already expensive upgrade would be off the table for me.

Rdykens,
i woould convert to a plywood or mdf lid. There are many examples in the gallery and the forum posts.
bababrown

If the dust bin is properly sealed, there should not be any significant airflow through the flex connector hose. The only minor disadvantage of it being sloped would be a slightly increased tendency to catch dust, and you could easily see the dust collecting on the spirals if it is a problem. My installation has a slight incline (about 1" offset) for the connecting tube and it has not been a problem.

Back