does the length of the intake pipe matter?

geekboy

I purchased a CV in Dec and have been installing it as time permits. I have a basement shop with ceilings 83 inches high, so my install was not text book. So far the install has been difficult at times but and I have learned a lot along the way and like figuring out different ways to install the CV. Plus I know when it's finished I'll have a really good dust collection system.

I am wondering if the length of the intake pipe matters?

At the intake I have about 6 inches of flex hose connected to a 2 foot length of 6 inch PVC pipe. I used the flex hose because I wanted to PVC to be straight and not at the angle of the CV intake. From there I will start branching off. Will it make a big difference if I shorted the 2 foot PVC pipe to about 16 inches or so?

When I planned the spot to install the CV I over looked this part...oppps

Thanks for your help

I'm afraid I cannot agree with the first response. I would recommend keeping a section of straight 6" pipe from the intake out as far as feasible (2-3 feet) and then return to horizontal with a flexible coupling like one of these (much smoother that flex hose). Hope this helps.

Agreed. And considering the history of posts in the last day or so, by my estimate it's only a matter of time before that account turns to spam.

I used the flexible hub coupling as suggested and it works great. I was very concerned about using anything other that straight, smooth wall pipe between the intake and the horizontal trunk line. See picture here:

I was very concerned about making the penetration through my sound closet at the same angle as the intake transition into the cyclone. I'm not an engineer nor very artistic, but with a bevel square and some geometry I got the job done. The flexible hub coupling was the key, as I couldn't find any thing that would work as a coupling to the intake transition.

I've been reading Bill Pence's missives for years on the importance of the angle of the ramp into the cyclone and minimizing turbulence. I wanted to avoid any disruptions to the air flow at such a critical junction.

Back