does the length of the intake pipe matter?

geekboy

I purchased a CV in Dec and have been installing it as time permits. I have a basement shop with ceilings 83 inches high, so my install was not text book. So far the install has been difficult at times but and I have learned a lot along the way and like figuring out different ways to install the CV. Plus I know when it's finished I'll have a really good dust collection system.

I am wondering if the length of the intake pipe matters?

At the intake I have about 6 inches of flex hose connected to a 2 foot length of 6 inch PVC pipe. I used the flex hose because I wanted the PVC to be straight and not at the angle of the CV intake. From there I will start branching off. Will it make a big difference if I shorted the 2 foot PVC pipe to about 16 inches or so?

When I planned the spot to install the CV I didn't think about about this. I thought I read somewhere that the pipe going into the intake should be a long as possible.

Thanks for your help

Longer is better to help reduce turbulence as the stream of dust hits the cyclone. I have a 4" branch within about 2' of the cyclone that goes to the top port of my table saw. All of my other tools have at least a 6' straight run.

I wouldn't worry at all if your first branch is to a jointer, but would be a bit concerned if the first branch was for a belt sander. Large jointer chips should be easy to separate even with tons of turbulence right at the intake.

I don't bother with a short section of flex pipe, but rather let the PVC pipe ease its way towards the ceiling. There is enough slop in the PVC fittings that it ends up horizontal within 2-3 fittings.

Steve

Back