Does the shape of the dustbin matter?

_Larry_

Does it matter if I use a commercially available cylindrical bin, or can I build a square one? What if it is wider than it is tall? Does it matter at all?

Larry,
Look thru the gallery and you will find several examples of home-built rectangular dust bins. Apparently they work okay but I would not build one a lot wider than high. The important thing is to have the bin sealed tight as leaks will destroy the separation.
bababrown

As bababrown has said, the size does not matter, but insuring that it is completely sealed from any leaks does matter -- critically! Some of my Bin Sensor customers have built large capacity bins (one even modified a steel dumpster bin!) to increase the time between their bin servicing intervals. Another factor is the strength of the materials used to build a bin -- one large advantage of a cylindrical bin is that the structure is inherently strong and harder to crush than a cube from external pressure. A square or rectangular wall is weaker, so materials need to be stronger to tolerate the external pressure. But, common waste receptacles like a Rubbermaid "Big Brute" are not strong enough either. I use a 55 gallon polyethylene food drum that is very robust.

Thanks guys.
I didn't realize there was a gallery.
I would just buy a bin, but my ceiling is a bit low, so the ideal bins are too tall, and the bins that will fit are smaller than I would like.
I think I will go with building one.
Sounds like I will need a lot of sealant!

Back