Does the top of the blower housing get caulked?

tamathumper

Once the blower housing and cyclone are mated and hung from the motor assembly, they are basically held in place by the six bolts with "toggle buttons" on them.

There's nothing in the instructions about caulking around the perimeter of that ring, but everything else gets caulked, so I can't imagine that gets left alone?

Are we supposed to loosen those bolts one at a time and caulk around that ring? If so, that's going to be a righteous PITA now that it's all hung up there on the wall.

Further search

Further search

Apologies, in my first search for "caulk", I didn't see any similar questions, but I searched again and realized there are multiple pages of results, and the same question was asked a long time ago.

The response at that time was "no", so I guess I'll leave it alone.

I'm kind of surprised, though, considering the extent to which I've gone to caulk the inlet, cyclone body, blower housing, transition, filter stack and cleanout box.

Also surprising is the extent to which people go to caulk the flex hose to the bottom of the cyclone and to the bin - that flex hose in the kit is heavy duty stuff, and it's *really* clamped on there good, so I'm surprised that would need caulk and an MDF-to-MDF interface would not.

blower housing

blower housing

I have been working on final install of my duct,and getting ready to paint everything.While I was taping cyclone motor off I noticed dust where the cyclone attaches to blower,I will be caulking that in to eliminate the leak.

Once the blower housing and cyclone are mated and hung from the motor assembly, they are basically held in place by the six bolts with "toggle buttons" on them.

There's nothing in the instructions about caulking around the perimeter of that ring, but everything else gets caulked, so I can't imagine that gets left alone?

Are we supposed to loosen those bolts one at a time and caulk around that ring? If so, that's going to be a righteous PITA now that it's all hung up there on the wall.

This is an old thread, but I'm coming back to it because I have the same question and don't see any definitive recommendation. Tamathumper says he didn't get a definitive answer so was leaving the joint alone for the time being. Ken Harris reports that he noticed dust in this location while working on the final install of his duct, so went back to caulk it. Anyone have any other experiences or recommendations while I have this joint easily accessible?

Thanks,
Rush

Caulking the seam between the Blower Housing and Motor Plate is not necessary as it's a tight fit between the two. It won't hurt anything if you do seal between the two, but it does it make it more difficult to separate them if you ever need to disassemble your system.

Caulking the seam between the Blower Housing and Motor Plate is not necessary as it's a tight fit between the two. It won't hurt anything if you do seal between the two, but it does it make it more difficult to separate them if you ever need to disassemble your system.

Thank you! Good to get confirmation about this joint.

Just a quick suggestion...maybe instead of caulk use a heavy tape that will seal the joint instead just in case you do need to separate the two parts later. I used metal tape to join my PCV parts and that seals very well. Not that caulk won't work but makes it harder/messier to do so. Just a thought.

-Steve

Back