Down/vertical pipe lengths

Kevinmk_37

I am in the research side of buying a CV-1800 and planning for duct layout. I am fortunate to have a shop with 14' ceiling which gives me lots of flexibility for the elevation of the horizontal runs. In planning lighting placement and the horizontal runs (running pipe down the middle up high with drops to each machine) is there a rule of thumb/best practice for how long the vertical pipe can be before the DC can't optimally pull the dust up? I am planning to run PVC S&D and plan to run 6" pipe right up the machines with a little flex hose for connection. All of my bigger machines (Planer, Jointer, Table Saw) have 5" ports and I am reluctant to not cut open these machines to put in a larger dust port.

My shop is long and narrow (41' x 16') with most of the machines within 20' ( and 1 or 2 small dust producers at 30') of the DC. I have planned for no 90s but will use 2 45s to soften the turn for down pipe. I am single user of the shop and don't expect the need for CV-MAX but if necessary I could go that route.

Any guidance anyone could provide will be appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin,
The cv1800 will have no problem pulling dust and shavings up 14 feet assuming you get at least 3800 feet peer minute velocity. For 6" pipe all the way you will get well over that. I would recommend 6" ports in most cases but you could for example use 5" on the lower part of a table saw along with a 3.5 or even 4" line on the top of the saw. Good luck with your install.
Bababrown

Back