Drill presses and mortiser

I used a wye fiitting and two 4" positionable flexible ducts. It works fairly well and catches most of the dust and chips. There's a picture of it in the photo gallery under Dust hoods and Pickups/Woodwringer's dust hoods.

For the drill press, I have some of that extra-stiff black 4" flex "hose". It holds its position (mostly) and is very effective. For the mortising machine, I made a simple holder for a shopvac hose that positions the hose next to the ejection side of the bit -- using just a shopvac with that one, and it catches EVERYTHING.

Here are some hasty photos of the drill press and mortising hookups.

Attachments

• drillpress.jpg
    drillpress.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1
  • mortiser1.jpg
    mortiser1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
  • mortiser2.jpg
    mortiser2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
I modified a drill press table plan from Peachtree Woodworking. I put a dust pickup, 2 1/2 inch on the bottom of the box shaped table. Then I have Y fixture that leads to another hose that leads to the dust pickup behind the fence cut out for the drill press quill. I use the 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 plastic removable inserts, which I've drilled a pattern of of 3/4 inch holes. I use a single 4 inch hose from the blast gate to the Y (4 inch to two 2 1/2 outlets). The suction under the removable insert is amazing. No need for a hold down.

Back