Ducting input

brucehe

Hello all,

I have installed a CV1800 outside our shop and started installing the ductwork. I would be interested in feedback on this ductwork design. The Sketch up drawing is a bit rough and all the details are not shown but hopefully enough is there for a review.
Blast gates are not shown but would be at all points of connections to tools.

Thanks,

Bruce

Attachments

• Coho shop ductwork plan1.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 10
  • Coho shop ductwork 1.pdf
    232.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Coho shop ductwork iso 2.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Coho shop ductwork iso alternate TS routing.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi Bruce,

Looks like you are going to have a great workshop.

First thought is how are you conditioning your air (heat or cooling)? By having the DC outside your shop you will cut down on noise but will need to replace the air that your DC is pulling out of the shop. If you have mild weather / temp/ humidity then its not an issue to have your shop pull air in from the outside. If not then you need a way to get the cleaned air back into the shop.

In my shop, the Jointer and Planer are the biggest dust/chip producers and I like them to be as close to your DC as possible. Your shop is yours and you need to make sure it fits your needs. If I was playing with this space I would try putting the jointer and planer side by side and maybe where your TS is located. In this location I would also try to run the duct from the Capped duct point to these two machines. I have found that I usually use these two machines in sequence so having them close helps on work flow. Since I moved your TS , I would look at placing it where the the Jointer was located.

The above suggestion may not work if you are using your shop as a place to keep your cars ( one on each side of where your TS is currently located).

Best of luck,

Kevin

Minor observation but if you flip the table saw 180 the ducting would be shorter by 6' or so. I would be tempted to switch the sander and drill press with each other as the DP need the least amount of airflow where sanders can never seem to get enough. A port above the sander can capture the dust not captured by the supplied ports. Good luck in the new shop.

Pete

I would recommend that you eliminate all of the 90 degree bends and replace them with a pair of 45 elbows with an 8-10" section of straight pipe between them. i would eliminate the run from the bandsaw drop to your mitersaw and replace it with an overhead run using a wye versus the 45 that starts the bandsaw leg and coming down the wall to the mitersaw in order to shorten the length.

Back