dust accumulation on back-side of impeller

Dog House

ClearVue Family:

I have some fine dust that is accumulating on the back side of the impeller blades. Might this be an indicator that I have leak at the bottom side (dust can or 6" connecting hose) or up somewhere in the blower/ transition?

Fred

How much dust are you getting in the filters and how long has this system been in place? I would say a slight coating would be possible because of the shape of the blades and that would be normal.... but a buildup indicates alot of dust going through to the filters and if that is the case i would start looking for leaks from the bottom of the cyclone on.

Matt

I ran my unit through the test spin cycle with a shovel full of saw dust... maybe not the best idea.:eek: It kinda overwhelmed it, it seemed, and it went through the impeller into the 8" flex and also down the cyclone body into the can.

I know I have a small leak just past the transition into the 8" flex (man does that ever suck!) and some where the door to my clean-out isn't completely sealed/snugged up yet. Is that mainly why it would have done that or is more being an idiot on my part with hitting it with a lot of saw dust all at once. There was no saw dust coming out the transition to the 8" flex, but I can feel air coming out so I know I have a leak.

Many Thanks!

dust accumulation on back-side of impeller

How much dust are you getting in the filters and how long has this system been in place? I would say a slight coating would be possible because of the shape of the blades and that would be normal.... but a buildup indicates alot of dust going through to the filters and if that is the case i would start looking for leaks from the bottom of the cyclone on.

Matt

Matt:

I don't have a lot of dust on the blades, kind of a lighter outline around the outside of the blades. Centre of the blades are clear. Have not climbed on a ladder to look in the filters yet.

I cleaned the filters about a month ago and installed the "stick" to lower the sound. I may have made the "stick" a hair too long as I noticed some dust that I think was coming from underneath the blower wrapper right below and above the "stick". I cleaned the dust off and caulked the area and that seems to have fixed that "leak" (?). Perhaps that possible leak caused/lead to dust on the blades?

Fred

Dust on impeller blades

Dust on impeller blades

Hi,

See this thread....
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/showthread.php?t=1067

The first picture on post 4 is normal. If that is what you are seeing then I wouldn't worry with it. If you have too much dust in your filters then you need to hunt for a leak. The dust you are seeing should be like baby powder. While the cyclone works really well some fine dust does pass through and it is so fine that it sticks to anything.

Matt

Crafted you could have overloaded it to the point that some of the debis went through to the impeller. Some fine dust is going to go through and the more debris put in at once the less efficent the cyclone is. Any leak from the bottom of the cyclone including the trash can will cause excessive dust to accumulate in the filters. It's hard to say how much dust should pass without knowing how much was put through and at what rate and how coarse or fine the dust was but if you are getting planer chips in your filters then you definitly have a leak.

Matt

Dust on impeller blades

Dust on impeller blades

Thanks Matt. I have a little more dust than pic 1 but not much more. So it probably is nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks,
Fred

Back