Dust Is Collecting On the Underside of the Entry Ramp ...

I've had my ClearVue for about 6 years. I've noticed after an extended building burst during our lock down that fine dust is collecting on the underside of the entry ramp inside of the cyclone. I thought this area was an empty void and should remain empty. The DC works fine. My unit is in a sealed sound control closet and I have not noticed any dust leaking out. The floor and walls of the closet are basically spotless.

Is there something wrong with my cyclone or is dust in this area normal over time?
Mark

Here are some pictures. I'm sorry that my explanation was confusing. Ferraro3 comp.jpg Ferraro3 comp.jpg Ferraro4 comp.jpg Ferraro3 comp.jpg

Attachments

• Ferraro2 comp.jpg
    Ferraro2 comp.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • Ferraro1 comp.jpg
    Ferraro1 comp.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
Mark,

There are two possible routes that dust can accumulate where it has in the upper section of your CV-1800. It can enter along the inside junction between the inclined ramp and the center suction tube that sits below the blower since this is not a sealed junction. The second route is where the tube is connected to the round plate below the blower. There will be slight pressure differences between these junctions that could cause leakage. The good news is that they should not impact performance, they are just a little unsightly. They could have been sealed during initial assembly, but I doubt you want to go through that process now.

If you do want to fix it, you need to remove the blower and pull out the circular MDF doughnut that holds the main suction tube, clean it thoroughly and add sealant around the edges of the ramp to seal it at the tube. Then add sealant inside the MDF tube hole to seal it in place. Major job.

McRabbet,

Thank you for your explanation. I'm not sure that I am up to the task of taking everything apart. The odds are against me that I can reassemble everything correctly and with any efficiency. I'll save that project for the future.

Do you know the purpose of the hole with the black rubber grommet that is just next to the intake ramp in the cyclone? I've attached a picture. Grommet Hole Comp.jpg

Mark-

Sawdust accumulation above the ramp is completely normal, especially in our older units, as long as you've confirmed that your impeller is spinning the correct direction and that everything is complete airtight from the base of your cyclone down. Because of the way these cyclones are manufactured, we cannot get a complete seal between the inner cylinder and the ramp. As a result, dust can collect in the space above. It is not an issue – it will never go anywhere. Our newer units have a small hole next to the intake with a rubber grommet mounted inside - it adds a little bit of suction in that area to keep dust from accumulating. If you'd like information on how to add this hole, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at sales@clearvuecyclones.com.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your photos and asking the question. My Clearvue CV-1800 that I bought last summer also has the same problem. I can't find any leaks but there is definite dust buildup exactly as your pictures show (I think I am getting about 1/4" buildup). When I turn the unit on you can see a brief stir up of dust in that section. McRabbit explanation makes sense and is likely the cause. Like you I lack the motivation to tackle the disassembly and caulking.

CVSupport is this something that I missed in your manual during installation? or is this a quality control problem in manufacturing?

Mark,
Do you cut a lot of pressure treated wood? It's happened to mine after cutting and ripping pressure treated lumber / It eventually breaks loose and clears up.

Hcollado -
I do not cut pressure treated wood in my workshop. I do use some exotics. But the bulk of my wood is Baltic Birch plywood and native hardwoods.

CV Support -
Our newer units have a small hole next to the intake with a rubber grommet mounted inside - it adds a little bit of suction in that area to keep dust from accumulating.

My unit has that small hole with the rubber grommet. The gap between the ramp and the center suction pipe looks like it varies between 1/16th and 1/8th inch.

The unit appears to be working just fine, so I'll just keep an eye on the situation.

Back