dust swirling in cyclone

bassplugger

I recently finished installing my cv1800. Instead of the standard 15" blower and blower housing, I opted to use the 16" blower and housing since I have two fairly long runs on ducting assuming this setup would get me a little more suction. I have noticed i have some small chips and dust swirling around in the cyclone about 8" up from the flex piping that goes to the dust bin. Suspecting a leak around the flex pipe and/or the dust bin, i used incense sticks and could not find a leak anywhere. Still wanting to be certain, i used silicone caulk around the flex on both ends and still notice i have swirling dust. Wondering if the 16" blower might be causing too much suction? The flex pipe is 9" long going to the 55 gallon drum. I could not find any leaks anywhere. Seems like I read somewhere that some swirling is normal, just want to be sure before I clog up my new filters. Do I need to check again?

Attachments

• 97.JPG
    97.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 98.JPG
    98.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 82.JPG
    82.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 1
Tim,

As we discussed by phone recently, the most likely cause of persistent chips/dust swirling in the lower part of the cyclone cone is a slight leak in the bin or its connections to the cyclone. I am sure you have checked all around the flex connections, the base of the metal collar, the two plugs in the lid and the lid gasket itself. If you haven't checked the bottom of the barrel, that may have a minor flaw in the swaged connection around the bottom (cannot see in your pictures), or a hidden puncture in the bottom. You may want to inspect the base carefully and even remove the barrel and inspect the bottom for any flaws.

All of that said, there may be no leak at all and you just have some residuals that simply stay suspended (this has been reported by many CV users before). When you shut down, this debris should simply drop into the bin. Check your filter cleanout for any accumulation, but my guess is that you won't find any chips -- just a small amount of really fine dust.

Yeah, mine does that. It's no big deal. I've verified I have no leaks. I would double check for leaks and if none, don't worry about it. Just think, if it wasn't clear, you'd never know!!!! Jim.

Mine's not pulling dust yet, but to be safe, I've already caulked the bottom seam, the vertical seam, and both handles of the metal trash can.

I can't see any smoke from the incense being pulled into the flex or the collar or the lid around the bin. I also removed the lid, and rubbed some "jacks lube" into the rubber gasket incorporated into the perimeter of the lid to help keep it soft and air tight . The bin was originally filled with a water-based lubricant and lined with a paint. After cleaning, it would hold water, so based on that, I feel confident that the base of the bin is airtight too. It is a little difficult to isolate the air movement since the filters are adjacent to the bin. I slid a sheet of plywood between the filters and the bin to help with airflow.
Yeah, mine does that. It's no big deal. I've verified I have no leaks.
Was that verified by the process I am using?

Last edited:
It sort of makes sense that at the exit point there is a dead zone. The effect of the fan on the stream is minimal so the transition from the cyclone to the bin "just happens?"
If the bin is completely sealed, any flow into the bin caused by the fan, is likely countered by an equal amount of air flowing out.
Or, in another thread, the idea of know the optimal length of the exit tube into the waste bin was discussed. When you watch a water vortex in a sink drain, you often see the tail of the vortex going quite far into the pipe. If the tail of the vortex created in the CV extends into the bin, where is the dead zone that allows all of the debris to settle out. Extending the discharge into the bin might minimize the effect on any turbulence in the bin.
All good physics that has nothing to do with the ultimate objective of getting more dust and debris into the bin than any other cyclone on the market.:p :p

Don

Back