Enclose motor only?

David01

Hi,

I tore down my nice enclosure to have more space in my small shop. Glad I did.

My CV is next to biggest one.

Has anyone an idea about enclosing just the motor/impeller? You'd have to provide adequate circulation for motor cooling, and then you'd still have the noise due to turbulence.

Anyone have an idea about what type of material could be used to allow airflow (into the back side of a small insulated box that would hang from the ceiling, and enclose the motor), yet dampen the noise?

Is this a stupid idea?

David

There are no stupid ideas, just bad timing.

There are no stupid ideas, just bad timing.

Seems like a lot of work based on assumptions that are problematic.

The risk of your plan is the build up of heat around your motor as well as the potential to have "noise" escape thru the filters and vibration of the motor mounting plate/wall. Any plan you have to ensure air flow around the motor is going to let sound out. So then you have to figure out how to capture or attenuate that sound with another baffle or sound absorption material.

If this is a basement shop, then perhaps the strategy is to use insulation in the floor joists to absorb sound. Seal all joints between the joists and the subfloor above with acoustical caulk, then use foam panels or fiberglass bats to fill in the bays between joists.

Good Luck!

David01,

I imagine you have long since resolved your issue, but there is a wealth of information about noise control on this forum. Many have discovered that the bulk of the noise comes from the system exhaust, not the motor itself. For those who can, it seems that the most effective solution for noise control is to run the exhaust to the outside or into another room. This can, of course, introduce other concerns, especially if you are exhausting conditioned air to the outdoors.

David01,

I have a similar small workshop problem occupied by a loud CV1800. Rather than permanently mounting the cyclone, I built a compact enclosure (from 2X 3 lumber and ½” plywood) on castors. The enclosure contains the Motor, Blower Housing, Cyclone Body, and Dust Collection Bin. The Blower Housing Transition extends beyond the enclosure and the filter stack sets outside the enclosure. The enclosure measures 29-1/2” wide and 27” deep. The overall footprint, including the filter stack, is 27” deep x 53”.

This enclosure allowed me to surround the cyclone unit with sound absorbing insulation. I used 2 products to abate sound; R13 (3/12”) Ultratouch Denim Insulation (15” wide bats) and UltraSonic Sound Panels, which are rigid sound absorbing 12” x 12” x 1” panels. Both products offer affordable sound absorbing properties. Ultratouch Denim Insulation can be ordered from Lowes or Home Depot on-line and shipped to the store free. UltraSonic Sound Panels is available on-line at Home Depot. Also, rigid sound panels can be found at http://www.soundproofcow.com/Acoustic-Cotton. Others have used Roxul Safe and Sound, but the Denim insulation is cotton, not mineral wool, and I think has better sound absorbing properties than Safe and Sound.

I packed the Denim insulation around the cyclone and around the Blower Housing. I used UltraSonic Sound Panels on top of the Blower Housing and around the motor because it is rigid and thus stays where I put it. Most importantly, I left a 3” wide air channel around the motor and two (front and back) 3” wide channels on top of the Blower Housing leading to the lower motor vent, to allow air to freely circulate around the motor. I used 3 layers of Sound Panels on top of the Blower Housing and on top of the Motor Mounting Plate.

I wrapped the Blower Transition with Denim insulation and then wrapped 3 mil plastic around the Denim insulation. This wrapping holds the Denim Insulation in place.

Also, to reduce sound bouncing off nearby walls, I hung insulation on the walls near the cyclone.

If interested, my approach to assembling the CV1800 in a small space is detailed in the Thread entitled [FONT=&quot]Unique Portable CV1800 Enclosure, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]under “Noise Control”.[/FONT]

Back